Bastard son of GAWWWWWWWD!

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

There was some Six Feet Under stuff back when I first got into DM that I didn't like much but then I heard Barnes' stuff with Cannibal Corpse and was muy impressed. A few years back I heard that one SFU album with Rob Arnold and the next one with Ola, and really liked what I heard.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

/thread. I love Akerfeldt too, but by his own admission this is who he was trying to emulate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Interesting how you're all wrong

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

While I'm not a huge fan of DM (if Opeth doesn't count), this song by Cattle Decapitation has some crazy cool vocals - especially in the chorus.

"How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Washburn N7
    Rig: Peavey 5150

Alvestam is a monster. Both his growling and singing are top notch. Wish he stayed with SS. A guy I really dig now is Andrew Virruetta of Interloper/Vampire Squid/the Faceless. He can play his ass off too.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Love both of those guys. Brooks uses the freq cancellation in the mic to create some of his breakup, though, which, while he does better than most, walks the line between “what you can do without fx” and “well, guitar players can use fx, why can’t vocalists?”

Eternal Illumination for Becoming... is my idea of the greatest example of extreme metal vocals in one song ever done. There’s death growls, thrash rasp, blackened screams and everything in between. That song is a text book example of great underground metal vox.

For me, Mikael from Opeth has/had the best death metal voice ever. I love Martin Van Drunen, Karl Willets, Barney and others, but Mikael mixes cold rasp, intelligible enunciation, amazing vocal control and utter brutality in a way no one else can.

But, like everything else in music, “great” is all in the ear of the beholder.
    There's some saturation on Brooks' vox, but that's par for the car in 98% of screaming situations, hell, 98% of situations period, never mind screaming. That first SFU tune is what a shit vocal take without any kind of saturation sounds like. Brooks seems to be using a mixed false chord/fry scream to get all his tones. EQ will only get ya so far, trust me....went down that road for years thinking the right EQ/compression would unlock my inner Randy Blythe, only to find that if ya can't get that sound without a mic, you're not gonna get it with a mic.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post

/thread. I love Akerfeldt too, but by his own admission this is who he was trying to emulate.
    Was waiting for someone to throw David Vincent in here. Might get crucified, but I actually prefer Steve Tucker era vocals for MA