A masterclass in death metal vocals
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A masterclass in death metal vocals

ME: ESP E-II V-II
    Rig: Kemper and Marshall

A masterclass in death metal vocals

With the peak demonstration of ability at 3:18. Chris Barnes is truly the Freddie Mercury of death metal.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

I do enjoy his high pitched shrieks, but I can't tell if you're joking or not with this post. He sounds like shit. Like he's out of breathe the whole time. Time has not treated his voice well. He used to sound waaayyyy better. Freddie Mercury of death metal would be someone more like Travis Ryan imo. Masterclass in death metal vocals would be Frank Mullen

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I'm not a big death metal guy, but Barnes is one of the few vocalists I do like. I saw him live with SFU when Ola came through and as a non-DM guy, I like that I can actually understand him most of the time. They were with Cattle Decapitation, which I absolutely do not get at all.

I don't know what constitutes good DM, but this here is badass:

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

I think Brook from Impending Doom or Jason from Becoming the Archetype are my 2 favourites though Impending Doom isn't really a death metal band.

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: WTB BC Rich Warlock
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I'm not a big death metal guy, but Barnes is one of the few vocalists I do like. I saw him live with SFU when Ola came through and as a non-DM guy, I like that I can actually understand him most of the time. They were with Cattle Decapitation, which I absolutely do not get at all.

I don't know what constitutes good DM, but this here is badass:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Chris Barnes fan. I just think his voice has seen better days.

When I think of classic death metal vocals, these come to mind:

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

That sounded like Cartman at 3:18.

You really can’t get more raw and unpolished than that vocal track. He definitely sounds better in the vid Quigs posted.

I really dug the dude Kagami posted. I gotta check out some more of those guys.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Chris Barnes's vocals in that song sounded REALLY shitty to me. Like an example of really poorly done death metal vocals. Personally, I've always considered Peter Tagtgren's work on Bloodbath's album Nightmares Made Flesh as an absolute masterclass in death metal vocals.

Or if we want the Freddie Mercury of death metal vocals, I vote for Christian Alvestam. 100% of the vocals in this song are performed by him, and it's more just a masterclass in metal vocals across the board: death metal, black metal, power metal, soaring cleans:

ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    I think Brook from Impending Doom or Jason from Becoming the Archetype are my 2 favourites though Impending Doom isn't really a death metal band.

Love both of those guys. Brooks uses the freq cancellation in the mic to create some of his breakup, though, which, while he does better than most, walks the line between “what you can do without fx” and “well, guitar players can use fx, why can’t vocalists?”

Eternal Illumination for Becoming... is my idea of the greatest example of extreme metal vocals in one song ever done. There’s death growls, thrash rasp, blackened screams and everything in between. That song is a text book example of great underground metal vox.

For me, Mikael from Opeth has/had the best death metal voice ever. I love Martin Van Drunen, Karl Willets, Barney and others, but Mikael mixes cold rasp, intelligible enunciation, amazing vocal control and utter brutality in a way no one else can.

But, like everything else in music, “great” is all in the ear of the beholder.