Mustaine wrote a book about making the greatest thrash album ever: "Rust In Peace." - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustaine wrote a book about making the greatest thrash album ever: "Rust In Peace."

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Eh, that album has some stinkers on it. I Ain't Superstitious sucks, and while that ascending/descending riff in Bad Omen is fucking fantastic, the rest of the song is pretty mediocre. Same with the title track - great chorus and bridges, lousy verse.

I like that album a lot but it's nowhere near the best 'Deth album.
    I disagree on Bad Omen. The cover is what it is - which is nowhere near as good as the original "These Boots Are Made For Walking" cover.

I skip several songs on RIP, though. I don't even skip the cover tune on PS, because the pain is over in two minutes, and Poland does play some cool licks around the meh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I skip several songs on RIP, though. I don't even skip the cover tune on PS, because the pain is over in two minutes, and Poland does play some cool licks around the meh.
    That's still two minutes I ain't spending listening to that bullshit song.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I disagree on Bad Omen. The cover is what it is - which is nowhere near as good as the original "These Boots Are Made For Walking" cover.

You don't skip the cover song, but you skip poison was the cure, eh? LIES.

It brings up an interesting side discussion though - how often to you put in an album and listen to the whole thing? I always listened to the whole album on Peace Sells because I had the cassette, and it was even before you could fast forward and have it detect the pauses between songs. The advent of CDs made skipping songs easier, and now that it's really just MP3s and streams, the concept of listening to the whole thing in order is a little different. It's easier to skip songs you only kind of like, rather than the old days when you'd just get through them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    It brings up an interesting side discussion though - how often to you put in an album and listen to the whole thing?
    I still do on Albums of my youth and on some lost gems here and there, but even those have "fillers" and that's why I say why keep making Albums with more than 4-5 songs on this day an age? Make 4 to 5 GOOD ones and call it a day, 80-90% of Album songs arent even played Live so who cares?

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Rust In Piece > all other Megadeth albums by a mile.... in part or taken as a whole. At the time Holy Wars came out it almost seemed to predict the beginning of the end, and the solos are timeless. IMHO
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    An album is a whole other art form and it's made the way it's meant to be listened to. Track order and having all of them there is mega important.
    I agree with this. When Whitesnake did the 30th anniversary re-issue of 1987 album, the track order just throws me all off. I've listened to that album in a specific order for 30 years and mixing it up (I know, I know- that was the order outside of the US) just messes up the album for me.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    No time for questions, no time for games! START KICKIN' ASS! I'm taking down the names

what a fucking banger

Countdown is 100% all killer, no filler. Dave Mustaine is a genius and Metallica SUCKS.
    WUT

ME: All of them
    MA: Acoustics in metal, lol!
    MB: I only have one sooo...
    Rig: Fractal Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    While I like Countdown to Extinction, I think RIP is on another level. Especially as a thrash album - I don't know if I even consider Countdown to be thrash anymore. It's more like a heavy metal album with one or two thrash songs thrown in.

When it comes to the discussion of which is the best thrash album, how can MOP be it when it's not even the best Metallica album? AJFA > MOP.
    Its funny, I checked over at Rate Your Music how Countdown... was classified, and it was actually classed by whoever does all that over there as 'Thrash Metal' and 'Heavy Metal' while RIP got 'Thrash Metal', 'Technical Thrash Metal', 'Heavy Metal'. I think people really get caught up on the technical-ness of RIP which plays a big part as to why its so hallowed. But I have to admit, I kinda think the sound on albums like Countdown... and even Cryptic... worked more for the band. I was actually a bit surprised that Countdown... got thrash associated with it over at RYM. I think probably the purest thrash album Megadeth did though was probably KIMBABIG.

I actually fall into the camp as well that considers AJFA Metallica's finest hour even though the album has the whole questionable production thing with it and a few other stigmas here and there assigned to it. Actually, I think alot more people have come to really respect the album more as the years have gone by in spite of its controversies.