Music Theory- Interesting view on Ideology

Thread: Music Theory- Interesting view on Ideology

Music Theory- Interesting view on Ideology

Saw this today in a shared FB post and decided to listen to it since I kinda always though a bit around this. What about other Cultures "Theory"?

It's a long video and I'm like around half of it. It's very interesting even though the title can give a somehow "political" wrong view.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

The guy has a point, but it only goes so far. I mean, on the one hand, western music theory is pretty different from, say, Indian music and theory, but then jazz musicians, especially during the bebop and hard bop eras of 1940s and 1950s, have taken that same western tonal harmony and expanded it well beyond what 18th century composers were doing. But I'm only a few minutes into the video, so he may address this.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
    The guy has a point, but it only goes so far. I mean, on the one hand, western music theory is pretty different from, say, Indian music and theory, but then jazz musicians, especially during the bebop and hard bop eras of 1940s and 1950s, have taken that same western tonal harmony and expanded it well beyond what 18th century composers were doing. But I'm only a few minutes into the video, so he may address this.
    I'm 2 hours late but yes, watch the video in full. He goes in depth about that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Orchestral composers were already deconstructing western harmony decades before anyone on 52nd Street was doing so. However, jazz harmony added a lot of new ideas to what guys like Bartok and Webern were doing.

Non-western musical systems are fascinating to study, not just to try and learn the actual music, but for the cultural insights they provide.

I made it three minutes into the video until the woke shit started. Maybe it got better after that?

A simplistic, stupid view of a complex and interesting topic. Certain music is more complex than other music in various ways. That's a fact, not a value judgment. Pride and appreciation in the mastery of these formal systems is a good thing, not bad.

Indian classical music is so rhythmically complex that it takes decades to master. An Irish jig, not so much. However that same Indian classical canon is almost entirely modal and contains not a single lick of harmonization.

There's also value in simplicity and the wider human communication it allows. Almost any music has something worth studying and appreciating, even if no more than the enthusiasm of its creator. It could just be answering why a certain blast of noise received a bigger response than a another blast of noise.

Sneering at the appreciation of the accomplishment of the white men in the powdered wigs does nothing to foster appreciation of anything else. It's just virtue signaling.

the bebop and hard bop eras
    I'm more of a connoisseur of the Mmbop era
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Randy has reminded me of Henning Pauly's excellent trolling: saying he was way more influenced by Hanson than by Van Halen.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I'm more of a connoisseur of the Mmbop era
    Mmm-mmm-mmm-mmm era for me.