Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Eddie Van Halen has died

13K views 117 replies 43 participants last post by  deolsunny533 
#1 ·
#14 ·
The man that forever changed the electric guitar. My personal guitar hero....RIP Eddie.

This is fucking terrible :(

This is how I will remember you!

#25 ·
Fuck. Not only was Van Halen the person currently alive (as of yesterday) most synonymous with Electric Guitar, there's a case to be made that he is the name most synonymous with Electric Guitar living or dead.

Nearly impossible to overstate how much of a massive void this leaves.

I mean, yeah, some people with no taste are cunts about the whole "technically, the first double tapping happened in 1546", and if you want to be stupid about it you can point out he wasn't solely responsible for those things, but for all intents and purposes, EVH is synonymous with a whole shit ton of beloved institutions. The idea of the superstrat, the double locking trem, etc. etc. Huge loss.

#26 ·
And you know, before the discussion revolves solely around his playing, it needs to be said that his don't give a fuck attitude and his willingness to hack things up are a massive inspiration to many of us.

One of the most punk as fuck ever.

99% of electric guitarists are obsessed with the posturing of gaining social capital from the name on the headstock, most of Van Halen's even overlook that.

EVH is a brand now, sure, but he was one of the first, and to this day, only guys, who didn't really care what it said on his guitars headstock.

Electric guitar is still largely a world where people are, consciously or not, are absolutely obsessed with the psychological validation of the brands of the gear they own. People tend to overlook that about EVH in favor of talking about his playing. The fact that the vast majority of people are too scared to go out there with shit they cobbled together in their garage, and need the "Establishment backing" of owning pro brand stuff.

Fucking inspiration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.