Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Riffs with Dyads

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Fuck dyads. My riffs have electrolytes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for you replies, I guess I should have clarified that I meant different variations of dyads, not just a series of power chords.

Also, I'm sorry if this wasn't the right place for this kind of post, I'm new to this.

Thanks again 🤘

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Moos1388 View Post
    Thank you so much for you replies, I guess I should have clarified that I meant different variations of dyads, not just a series of power chords.

Also, I'm sorry if this wasn't the right place for this kind of post, I'm new to this.

Thanks again
    Then I assume you meant "non-fifth-based power chords" since usually when someone says "a power chord," they mean "the root and a fifth." But technically all dyads are power chords in metal (though not all power chords are dyads. I oftentimes play "9th power chords" which are technically triads since you play a 9th instead of an octave).

After fifth-based power chords, fourth-based power chords are arguably the most common. Chuck Schuldiner of Death used them all the time. And if you want to hear a wide variety of fourth based, minor third based, major third based, and so on, listen to 80s hair metal or power metal.

But yeah, I still maintain that dyads are insanely common in metal, even if you exclude fifth-based dyads (aka typical power chords).

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Love that tune
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

Yeah that's actually what I meant, a lot of songs focus on fifth based chords, I was looking for some cool riffs that throw some major or minor thirds into the mix, maybe some 6ths as well.

That Ihsahn riff is actually spot on!

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

A lot of '80s bands used sixth-based dyads as passing chords in progressions. John Sykes did it all the time--"Bad Boys" off of the Whitesnake 1987 album is an example that comes to mind.

Ritchie Blackmore constructed many of his riffs around fourth-based dyads, with the chordal movement in the progression going into third-based dyads frequently. "All Night Long" from Rainbow's Down to Earth is a good example of this. His musical "descendants" in the '80s often followed this approach in a classic metal style, interspersing Ritchie-style riffs with more Iommi-style fifth-based dyads. I still do that all the time, since I was influenced by both guys.

You also hear flat-fifth dyads as passing chords here and there.

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

I'm about to go to a meeting so don't have time to double check certain songs, but Gojira uses a lot of diads in their riffs. Mainly the usual major/minor thirds, and inverted power chords (AKA the 5th is the lower note, so it makes the whole power chord sound an octave lower), but I feel like there are some less-common diads in there, too.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    You also hear flat-fifth dyads as passing chords here and there.
    Or a lot if you're listening to '80s Voivod.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge