Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Go] F**k Yourself

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Vai grew a beard???
    Yeah, he's going out as his alter-ego, Scott Vailand.

Also, when I was in high school, I put 2 10" subs in my old shitty Blazer and used to enter and leave the school blaring either Fear Factory, Pantera or this song at ear-bleed levels. The 90's fucking ruled.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Satriani did this recently, too. Pretty cool.

Vai's more Zappa-esque moments have been his most interesting music for a long time. Guitar shred only gets you so far.
    Eh, disagree. Vai's the least shreddy shredder out there. I think that statement applies more to guys like Satch, who's just straight forward shredding over backing tracks. Vai's stuff is a lot more unique. Satch, EJ, Yngwie, Petrucci - all monsters but all guys who play really structured stuff. Vai on the other hand IMO just makes the guitar do whatever the hell he wants it to, and it's really inspired when he lets it rip. I don't like Zappa at all and I don't get into Vai's weirder shit but there's no denying that he's on another level entirely than just about everyone else.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Eh, disagree. Vai's the least shreddy shredder out there. I think that statement applies more to guys like Satch, who's just straight forward shredding over backing tracks. Vai's stuff is a lot more unique. Satch, EJ, Yngwie, Petrucci - all monsters but all guys who play really structured stuff. Vai on the other hand IMO just makes the guitar do whatever the hell he wants it to, and it's really inspired when he lets it rip. I don't like Zappa at all and I don't get into Vai's weirder shit but there's no denying that he's on another level entirely than just about everyone else.

This.

I think after so many years of defending Vai, I've become blind to comments of him being a shredder. I suppose at face value, yeah, he's known for playing fast and technical, but when you dig in and find out that he writes every note of every instrument on his albums....and records everything with just himself and an engineer, aside from some bass parts and the drums. He's a whole different kind of musician. In the rock guitar realm, he's not exactly in a crowded group.

I always thought this song was a good summary of what he's about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

100% agree, there's lots of great technical players out there but Vai stands alone, love him or not.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Revenger 7-1
    MA: Mitchell MD-100
    Rig: Crate GFX50 Two-Tone

... Vai's the least shreddy shredder out there ...
    I think that's a key description. He's not a "shredder" per se, but if the need arrises, he does. Especially in bursts to get from "here" to "there" as quickly as possible. Also, like Zappa, he's into the whole piece. Listeing to the "Naked Tracks", it's amazing how many stand on their own, even without any guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    More like a Telefunken U47...with leather.
    I've used variations of the "it looks just like a Telefunken U47" line before. The reference is only rarely caught.
    Last edited by ElRay; 11-10-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Mary needed her Telefunken U47 back.
    The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
    Speaking of Vai covering Satch...

I've been following the Satriani Stripped X Three releases closely, and it's great that he's getting people to take great liberties jamming over his tracks. Though admittedly not all of them work for me, with Vai, Lari Basilio and Bumblefoot being thew few standouts.
    Besides the incredible playing I again want a jem. The one his playing in any color.

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpintofinity View Post
    Besides the incredible playing I again want a jem. The one his playing in any color.
    He's playing a "Pia", not a Jem in that video. They don't make Japanese Jems anymore.

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    He's playing a "Pia", not a Jem in that video. They don't make Japanese Jems anymore.
    Is that why there's 2 monkey grips? Some kind of copyright/trademark issue?