[Help] Slipknot guitar choices - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Help] Slipknot guitar choices

Thankyou everyone for the quick replies much to think about

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    What gear are you starting with?

What is your budget?

Are you a bedroom shredder? Plan to gig? Plan to tour?

Are you recording?

These will factor heavily in our recommendations.
    so i dont really have a budget just yet but bang for buck would be good
    im primarily a bedroom shredder at the moment but looking ahead for future small gigs / recording
    only guitar i have worth mentioning is my B.C.Rich KK Warlock
    the reason we thought it might have been a baritone was for the fact it was low
    thankyou Naren for the link. thats the exact song i fell in love with and the acoustic just melt me lol
    Last edited by DeaconsSorrowthorn; 11-12-2020 at 08:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Absolutely love this album, and this song in particular. Everyone in mainstream media talks about "sad songs" like Adele or some horrifically trite emotive crap like that. Nobody writes sad songs like metal bands They're always so much more heart-wrenching and bleak, this one being one of the best.

I learned it years ago, when it came out, and can confirm it's simply a bunch of layered acoustics in their typical drop B tuning (as already mentioned - B, F#, B, E, G#, C#). The main "riff" if you like is just a straight up acoustic guitar, second guitar (Jim or Mick, not sure who) just playing sympathetic accompanying lines.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

yeah, its an amazing song ... im also looking at an acoustic version of snuff, i know i have to down tune for that to.
    ill give the drop b tuning a go on one of my acoustics and see how i go, but i'd say its highly likely ill end up with a baritone guitar in the long run :P

just want to thank everyone who replied, the feedback i received was awesome, and super helpful
    "So break yourself against my stones
    And spit your pity in my soul"

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

If you're into slipknot, and want a iller electric, then track down an ibanez MTM2 (or MTM1, they tend to go for like peanuts for what they are, and they are nckthrough, and have the rare as fuck fixed edge (mtm2 has the edg3 fx, which is still very good)). They are absolute beasts of guitars.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I don't think either of them have any signature acoustics though (the song he's talking about is 100% acoustic).
    Right, I saw the link in the OP

And, I wouldn't expect the fellas in Slipknot to have sig acoustics . Though now I'm thinking... are acoustics ever not 25.5"? I know we talk about electric scale length a lot, but it may just be assumed for acoustics. Now I might have to go find myself a 24.75" scale acoustic

ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

Gibson are 24.75". Its what their electric scale length was based off of. Fender are the other way around since they started with electrics first, so their acoustics are 25.5.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconsSorrowthorn View Post
    yeah, its an amazing song ... im also looking at an acoustic version of snuff, i know i have to down tune for that to.
    ill give the drop b tuning a go on one of my acoustics and see how i go, but i'd say its highly likely ill end up with a baritone guitar in the long run :P

just want to thank everyone who replied, the feedback i received was awesome, and super helpful
    It comes down to string gauge.

For example, with seven string guitars, the vast majority of them are 25.5" scale, the same scale as most Stratocaster shapes, but the standard tuning of the lowest string is B, the same as the lowest string in all of Slipknot's music. Now, Slipknot plays with six strings, but they play with 25.5" scale six strings (both Jim Root's Fender and Mick Thompson's Jackson are 25.5").

If you try to use the same string gauge you use in E for B, then it's most likely going to sound pretty bad. After all, a 48 gauge in E has 20 pounds of pressure, while that same 48 gauge dropped down to B only has 11 pounds of pressure (about half the tension). I use a 59 gauge in B, which is around 17-18 pounds of pressure, which is a lot closer to that 20. And in my personal opinion, I think a 59 or 60 gauge sounds and feels the best in B, but you might prefer a 56 or 62 or a 64. I mean, it's somewhat subjective, but a 48 would be super flabby.

Something to keep in mind just so you don't incorrectly think that the reason your string is flabby is because it isn't a baritone. I love baritones (like I mentioned, I've owned 4 so far), but you definitely do not need a baritone to play in B. Slipknot never has, for that matter.

food for thought, a lot to discuss with my tutor thankyou