[Help] Slipknot guitar choices - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Help] Slipknot guitar choices

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Thing is, thicker gauges will give you a similar tension-feel, so you won't have to change-up your technique. Thicker strings will also give a stronger fundamental, which makes them "clearer" and more piano-like.

Thinner gauges allow more harmonics, and sound sweeter, to some.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Thing is, thicker gauges will give you a similar tension-feel, so you won't have to change-up your technique. Thicker strings will also give a stronger fundamental, which makes them "clearer" and more piano-like.

Thinner gauges allow more harmonics, and sound sweeter, to some.
    When I was in high school and college, I used super heavy gauge strings, but nowadays the gauges I use are pretty average (I use 10 gauge for E and even sometimes a 9 gauge for E. In high school and college, I usually used wound G strings, but I haven't used a wound G string in 16+ years). You often hear about the "light top, heavy bottom." Mine are more like "average top, slightly heavy bottom." I mean, a 59 gauge in B is still less tension than a 48 in E, after all.

I don't exactly want high-tension wires as strings, but I've had a lot of experience with light gauges for lower tunings and I've never really been a fan.

But like I've said (and others too), it really does come down to taste and playing style. Some people can pull off playing styles in certain gauges that other people couldn't pull off simply because the way they play is too different.

And in regards to the subject of this thread, Slipknot's sound is neither the high-tension sound of a baritone guitar or a standard scale guitar with super heavy gauge strings nor the super low-tension sound of a standard-scale guitar with light gauge strings in B. It's definitely more of a standard-scale guitar with a string gauge "typical" for B - 56 to 64 apparently being the range of gauges for B used throughout the 20+ years of the band.

more food for thought big thankyou again to everyone for posting. iv learnt a lot :P
    "So break yourself against my stones
    And spit your pity in my soul"

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS S2 Standard 22
    Rig: Headrush Gigboard + FRFR

In this video, I compared a 25.5" scale guitar with thicker strings tuned to drop B vs a real 28" baritone guitar with string gauges giving an almost similar tension. It also compares both to tones coming from the DigiTech Drop.

https://youtu.be/K6KFjF3HfBk

After the experience, I would say that you way play differs between the standard scaled guitar and the baritone because of the differences in scales. But, the tone-wise, it's a personal preference. There are some pros and cons for each.
    I feature mod projects, gear reviews, and my music on my YouTube channel! Thanks!