Leprous Appreciation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leprous Appreciation

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Leprous Appreciation

As a long time hardcore Ihsahn fan, I first came to know Leprous through Ihsahn (specifically since Einar sings backing vocals on several of Ihsahn's songs such as Arrival in 2012 and Celestial Violence in 2016 and also because when I checked out their live videos, I found that Leprous was Ihsahn's live touring band), but when I checked out their albums, I slowly went down the rabbit hole until I ended up owning every single one of their albums. The newest album is very good, but almost more "progressive rock" than "'progressive metal," but I think I prefer their more metal albums such as Bilateral, Coal, and The Congregation.

Perhaps my favorite Leprous song of them all (especially the outro to this song):

though this too is one of their best (again, especially the outro):

And of their newest album, I think this is the best song:

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

Some of my favorite tracks are definitely Passing and Slave for sure:

They're a great all-around band and no one-trick ponies whatsoever. They got more prog-rock leaning tracks that rival newer band like Haken and some of their darker territory is just as excellent. Baard Kolstad is easily one of my favorite drummers nowadays and that dude is always playing something interesting and with unbridled energy and precision.

ME: Ibanez JEM7V/SZ
    MA: Breedlove
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Axe-FX III

I absolutely LOVE The Congregation but haven't dug much from their latest release.

My dad actually turned me onto them after he came across the drummer's youtube vids. Really outstanding band. Love that dude's voice, his range, phrasing and dynamics are just ridiculous.
    Perfection is the enemy of progress.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Totally love this band, I haven't really connected with the early stuff but Malina was a total revelation for me and the last one took some work but I finally got it. I saw them live last year and it was everything I hoped it would be, absolutely stunning and totally immersive.

In fact, in searching for a video of Baard to put in here, I see they've just released the show I was at on YouTube

https://youtu.be/FnyvbX_lZ_A

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Seen em 2 or maybe 3 times and they really did nothing for me y'know

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I absolutely LOVE The Congregation but haven't dug much from their latest release.

My dad actually turned me onto them after he came across the drummer's youtube vids. Really outstanding band. Love that dude's voice, his range, phrasing and dynamics are just ridiculous.
    The vocalist is actually one reason why I have a hard time getting into them. I think he's overdoing the falsetto stuff a bit - and there's this sort of break into a sort of falsetto that he likes to do when singing normally as well, which makes it sound a bit like he's crying. Somehow I find it really annoying.

The first verse at about 40 secs is full of this.

I'll give it a try though, because the music is definitely cool - and the vocal melodies themselves are definitely not bad. Just some of the mannerisms
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

I think Einar (Leprous's singer) is a great singer and is great at writing melodies, but I do think that he oftentimes has a tendency to overdo things a bit. I mean, it's progressive metal/progressive rock, which as a genre does have a tendency to overdo things. I actually really like it even when he does overdo the vocals, but it can be a bit of a "Look what I can do!" kind of thing.

When he is a guest vocalist on Ihsahn's stuff, it's not as over the top, but he still comes across as great. For example:

(Einar does all the clean vocals in this song with Ihsahn doing the extreme vocals. I actually prefer Ihsahn's cleans to Einar's stylistically, but Einar's vocals still sound great)

i think Leprous is excellent. I really dug the first few albums.

I really couldn't get into the most recent album. I gave it a fair shake and it seems like it is a very deeply personal album, but i just can't connect with it. It doesn't have any teeth that i can get gnashed on.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....