Song you love with guitar tone you hate. - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Song you love with guitar tone you hate.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Another example of great 80's thrash with icepick tone:

I love these records, but Alex Perialas strikes again. So much of what you're complaining about is Pyramid Sound...

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Agreed on both counts.

Also, I'll never love the production of Somewhere in Time. IMO Powerslave is the best sounding Maiden album.
    I will always agree about Somewhere In Time. Piece of Mind is the best sounding Maiden album, to me, but Powerslave is damn close

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I love these records, but Alex Perialas strikes again. So much of what you're complaining about is Pyramid Sound...
    I'm not really complaining about it per se, just pointing it out. I think these albums wouldn't be awesome with perfect production, Nuclear Assault in particular. The gritty, hollow sound of their records fits their music IMO.

I was 11 when The Plague came out. I bought it when I was maybe 13 or so and listened to it about a dozen times a day for years. I had just started playing guitar and my heroes were Crue, Maiden and all manner of thrash. My older brother had a few friends who would loan me Exciter, SOD, and stuff like F&J. Such a cool time for music.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I've brought that album up in like 5 threads this week as a perfect example of a record that 100% rules despite the guitar tone being 100% god awful.
    They posted their raw mix at one point and it sounded much less bad. I think the record got fucked in mastering but we'll never know, since the masters are gone

I'm not really complaining about it per se, just pointing it out. I think these albums wouldn't be awesome with perfect production, Nuclear Assault in particular. The gritty, hollow sound of their records fits their music IMO.

I was 11 when The Plague came out. I bought it when I was maybe 13 or so and listened to it about a dozen times a day for years. I had just started playing guitar and my heroes were Crue, Maiden and all manner of thrash. My older brother had a few friends who would loan me Exciter, SOD, and stuff like F&J. Such a cool time for music.
    It really was. You had all these bands taking the same influences and really trying to be their own thing. Originality was the thing, having your own sound.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Revisiting X-Japan's Blue Blood album and it's production is showing signs of age, especially the rhythm guitars. They're thin, buzzy and barely audible, mostly buried under the drums. Doesn't help that the drums overall sound like they're recorded inside a box and Yoshiki slamming the double kick every chance he gets, which is all the damn time.

Thankfully the songs more than make up for the production.

ME: Kramer nightswan
    Rig: 5150 EL34 50w

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    Cowboys From Hell
    Everything Randy Rhoads
    The entire "When the Storm Comes Down" album
    +1

ME: Kramer nightswan
    Rig: 5150 EL34 50w

If you want that unique Dime tone, you can take any amp on the planet, max the gain/treble/presence and then roll off every scrap of mids and lows. Voila!

I'll take Dave's tone over Dime's ten out of ten times.

I can't say I'm intimiately familar with his current tone, but back in the day he was almost certainly unique because he was broke. Dave just wanted to outdo his old band, and IMO, he did. Recent 'Death albums don't do much for me but they're certainly a zillion times better than Lulo, Load, and every other shitpile Metallica has released since AJFA.
    100%!