Marko Hietala (Nightwish) retires from music
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marko Hietala (Nightwish) retires from music

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Marko Hietala (Nightwish) retires from music

Apparently he got fed up with the music industry and the artists being ripped off while streaming services and record labels make money of their work... Wonder how Nightwish are going to replace him - singers as good as him don't exactly grow on trees, nevermind ones who also play bass.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/mar...aves-nightwish
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Wow, that sucks. I am a big NW fan. I never really cared for his singing parts but his musicianship is a huge part of the band. Huge shoes to fill for whoever they get to replace him. Their old drummer (who was a monster) left for something like sleep apnea. At least neither band member left because of stupid band politics or disagreements.

Hopefully he finds another outlet we can enjoy, he's a really talented dude.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

That's a shame. He's very talented, and his vocals are unique and a big part of the Nightwish sound. I loved Tarot, too, and it was really sad when their drummer passed away.

I don't blame him, though. The last year has been rough on everybody's emotional health (mine included), but it's had the salutary effect of giving people clarity about what's important and what's not working in their lives.

They never got to play the new album in concert. I wonder if Tuomas will take this opportunity to reinvent the band and essentially write off last year's album.

When the concert industry resumes, how many artists of their stature are going to be willing to go back to the status quo of an industry that abuses them? A lot of promoters and venues may be gone by then, and perhaps change will be possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I'm a "new" fan of the band, only really started paying attention to them in the last year. It's a huge bummer that we won't be able to see the proper lineup live if/when they tour again.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I'm a "new" fan of the band, only really started paying attention to them in the last year. It's a huge bummer that we won't be able to see the proper lineup live if/when they tour again.
    The guy who plays the traditional Celtic instruments also does backing vocals and has a nice voice. He might play a larger vocal role going forward, but he doesn't sing metal style the way Marko does.

For Nightwish fans who like their more metal side, the concern is that this encourages Tuomas to focus more on the schlocky Disney-esque side of the band. He's been trending in that direction anyway.

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    The guy who plays the traditional Celtic instruments also does backing vocals and has a nice voice. He might play a larger vocal role going forward, but he doesn't sing metal style the way Marko does.

For Nightwish fans who like their more metal side, the concern is that this encourages Tuomas to focus more on the schlocky Disney-esque side of the band. He's been trending in that direction anyway.
    Yeah, I like some of Disney-esque band.

But I much prefer songs like "Dead to the World." That song is literally perfect and Marco plays a big part in it.

It's Epic, Majestic and Metal. Love it.

Not a huge Nightwish fan but it's heartbreaking to see Marco leave. He was very much a front-man just as much as Tarja or Floor, at least when I saw them.

Side note: Seeing Nightwish was one of the most boring concerts I've ever seen. I don't know if they were having an off-night or what? Floor was flawless but I could hardly hear her, which sucks because she is my favorite. <3
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    The guy who plays the traditional Celtic instruments also does backing vocals and has a nice voice.
    Troy? He's not doing bad for a guy from the arse end of fucking nowhere He's from my town, and a friend of my step-dad apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator
    Side note: Seeing Nightwish was one of the most boring concerts I've ever seen. I don't know if they were having an off-night or what? Floor was flawless but I could hardly hear her, which sucks because she is my favorite. <3
    That's also my experience both times I saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Troy? He's not doing bad for a guy from the arse end of fucking nowhere He's from my town, and a friend of my step-dad apparently.
    Yes, him. That dude is mega-talented. He was most notably in Iona before joining Nightwish. He's done quite well for someone who focuses on tin whistle and uilleann pipes!

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Tuomas just puts Nightwish on hiatus for awhile. He apparently had a hard time writing new material for last year's album, and everyone in the band has other projects to work on. Floor Jansen has finally become a huge solo star in her own country and now has a major international presence outside the band. Tuomas has wanted to do soundtracks for a long time, and the other guys also have side gigs. I doubt money's going to be a problem for any of them for a long time.