Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Heavy Metal guitar players that use single coils (no humbuckers)

39K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Matt Johnsen 
#1 ·
Okay so I remember never really being a fan of single coils or Marshalls until the day that I plugged a vintage strat into a jcm 800 and cranked the shit out of it. I played the riff to ANIMAL (Fuck Like a Beast) by W.A.S.P. and BOOM that was the tone in my head. Heavy and raw with lots of bite. All of my current guitars have humbuckers.

I was trying to think of heavy metal guitar players that have this sort of set up and the only guys I could think of are Yngwie, Uli Jon Roth, and the guys from Iron Maiden. I know there are more so I was wondering what guys I'm missing!

Please add to my list!

:metal:

#4 ·
Paul Gilbert's using them in his Fireman guitar right now. IIRC, there's a vid on the Dimarzio website about why he got into single coils.

Other than him...

Richie Kotzen
Michael Lee Firkins
James Byrd
George Bellas

#6 ·
Just thought of another. Doug Aldritch rocks quite a few different strats along with his Les Pauls.:)

If we're including guys who use HSS or HS configurations, then I can add a few more.

80s era Alex Lifeson.
George Lynch.
Andreas Kisser.
Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton.
Steve Stevens.
Jake E. Lee.

Personally, I love the sound of a neck single-coil for leads, and a bridge humbucker mixed with a middle single coil for clean tones.

He's not really a metal player, but you should really investigate how Steve Morse incorporates single coils into his tone, as that guy's an absolute master at exploiting the personalities of different pick-up combinations.

#7 ·
Personally, I love the sound of a neck single-coil for leads, and a bridge humbucker mixed with a middle single coil for clean tones.
:wub:

I 100% agree. I adore HSS guitars. It's the perfect pickup configuration for me. I also love the sounds you mentioned. :D

One more HSS player is Vernon Reid.

#24 ·
I absolutely LOVE that tune - I remember finding it on mp3.com years and years and years ago, and thinking it was just perfect.

These days, I think I'm more into H-H with a coil tap so I can have it both ways, but the fundamental point remains - a neck single coil is an AWESOME lead sound.

Also, Andy Timmons. :yesway:

#27 ·
Just thought of another one...

Morgan from Marduk plays a stock strat as his main guitar these days.:)

#33 ·
Borislav Mitic and Michael Romeo have both used stock strats in the past, but seem to mostly use them in the studio and go for HH guitars onstage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.