Playing live with recorded drums?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Playing live with recorded drums?

ME: Kxk 7 + RG 1527m x2
    Rig: ENGL Invader + AXE-FX II

Playing live with recorded drums?

Hey guys, I have started a new band with the intention of mixing a few genres of music i really dig. I was thinking of an instrumental - jazz / djent / psychill (electronic) / prog metal fusion; i know it sounds out there but i think we can pull it off without sounding forced.

I have a couple of songs written already, and have the line up off the band pretty much squared away minus the drummer.

Now in the past most drummers i have worked with have had either a problem playing to a click track or were unable to keep up with tempo changes and meter changes.

All of us have come to the conclusion that for this project we would rather just use drum samples (have been playing around with superior drummer 2) to record and hopefully play live with.

Now since i haven't really ever seen a band do this; are there any draw backs to playing live with a backing track of drums / synths?

As an audience member would you look down upon it,is it too out of place in the metal world?

Really would love to hear your opinions
    Last edited by Samer; 12-20-2010 at 12:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

Quote Originally Posted by Samer View Post
    Hey guys, I have started a new band with the intention of mixing a few genres of music i really dig. I was thinking of an instrumental - jazz / djent / psychill (electronic) / prog metal fusion; i know it sounds out there but i think we can pull it off without sounding forced.

I have a couple of songs written already, and have the line up off the band pretty much squared away minus the drummer.

Now in the past most drummers i have worked with have had either a problem playing to a click track or were unable to keep up with tempo changes and meter changes.

All of us have come to the conclusion that for this project we would rather just use drum samples (have been playing around with superior drummer 2) to record and hopefully play live with.

Now since i haven't really ever seen a band do this; are there any draw backs to playing live with a backing track of drums / synths?

As an audience member would you look down upon it,is it too out of place in the metal world?

Really would love to hear your opinions
    I'm always a bit miffed when I see bands that rely on pre recorded instruments. A wee sample here and there is fine, but if a band played an entire set with an overdubbed vocal or drums or trumpet or whatever, I'd be a bit miffed.

My only advice would be make sure you know whatever system you use inside out, as I've seen countless bands with laptops crash and burn on stage when it crashes. Know what goes where and how EVERYTHING works, and take a spare if you can at all.
    "Wú yán shèn yì zhī, shèn yì xíng.
    Tiān xià mò néng zhī, mò néng xíng." - Lao Tse

http://www.facebook.com/thecolourpinkisgay - my band.

ME: Electra X260 Invicta
    MB: Ibanez SR405
    Rig: SVT 6 Pro->M1400i->HLF410

I was planning on doing this in the past but it was just me on guitar and I had a bassist. We practiced often at a rehearsal space and it was really easy to do, very convenient.

Definitely have a backup though. I used my laptop through the PA but I had an iPod shuffle just in case.

Oh yeah and you don't have to practice as loud, another plus.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: none
    MA: Seagull!
    MB: None.
    Rig: Hd500->V300->Mesa 212

Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm excited to hear the product, post it up when you finish/start.

ME: Jackson Sl2H
    Rig: Engl/Marshall rack

I've seen a band play metal with recorded drums. To be honest, it didn't work too well, there was very little energy on stage and the performance seemed really lacking. If you are very active on stage you could probably make up for it though.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Get a drummer. They add a TON of energy to a live act. You can get away with midi keys or horns, but if I were at a venue with a few stages, I'd completely pass up the group without a drummer.

My advice: use programmed drums to practice to until you can find a drummer who is talented enough to pull it all off

ME: RG350DX
    MB: Carvin IC6

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Get a drummer. They add a TON of energy to a live act. You can get away with midi keys or horns, but if I were at a venue with a few stages, I'd completely pass up the group without a drummer.

My advice: use programmed drums to practice to until you can find a drummer who is talented enough to pull it all off
    This

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AcidWing View Post
    This
    This.

I've seen it done, and it's not pretty.