Digital Music Sales Top Physical Sales
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Music Sales Top Physical Sales

Digital Music Sales Top Physical Sales

Not that this is unexpected. What are your thoughts on this, and where the music industry is going as a whole, i.e. marketing yourself on youtube, digital media and music availability (cloud, etc.) and any other different trends you see?

Digital music sales top physical sales - Jan. 5, 2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RG3120
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    MB: Dingwall NG-2
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Road King

surprised it took this long honestly

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Personally I'll never get over the full effect of a physical album. Album covers, linear notes, the cd cover itself. I personally love it. I hardly buy music right now (maybe a few albums a year) because I' spend all my money on gear though I do not illegally download music (unless it's a gift from a band). I will steam what band's put out for free on soundcloud and such.

The industry has been heading into something strange for a while now. No body is making big money off records anymore. Record companies are giving out smaller and smaller budgets so they have easier time getting back to even. But hell most kids are smashing mixes anyways so they fit on their iphones and are listening thru tiny little earbuds.

livedownloads.com I love this website and think it's a huge market for any band that's actually worth seeing live. They are only making money off touring anyways. They might as well make the investment in a multi track recorder and a splitter box. The majority of the mixes on that website are far from studio quality. But I've bought atleast 6 shows I've gone too and like to relisten to. In fact I've spent more on that website than on cds this year.

Though I really really want the Gish and Siamese Dream remasters. I'll be able to afford them eventually.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SLAT3-7
    Rig: Line 6 Spider IV

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    Personally I'll never get over the full effect of a physical album. Album covers, linear notes, the cd cover itself. I personally love it. I hardly buy music right now (maybe a few albums a year) because I' spend all my money on gear though I do not illegally download music (unless it's a gift from a band). I will steam what band's put out for free on soundcloud and such.

The industry has been heading into something strange for a while now. No body is making big money off records anymore. Record companies are giving out smaller and smaller budgets so they have easier time getting back to even. But hell most kids are smashing mixes anyways so they fit on their iphones and are listening thru tiny little earbuds.

livedownloads.com I love this website and think it's a huge market for any band that's actually worth seeing live. They are only making money off touring anyways. They might as well make the investment in a multi track recorder and a splitter box. The majority of the mixes on that website are far from studio quality. But I've bought atleast 6 shows I've gone too and like to relisten to. In fact I've spent more on that website than on cds this year.

Though I really really want the Gish and Siamese Dream remasters. I'll be able to afford them eventually.
    +1 you basically said everything I was going to say.

ME: RG550/Les Paul
    MA: Taylor GSMiniMahogany
    Rig: PocketPOD/Roland MicroCub

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post

I liner notes, physical copies for my car, album artwork, the other artwork on the album, I can't live without physical copies.

ME: HevAri Dragonrider 7
    MB: Squier Affinity Jazz V
    Rig: Fryette Sig:X/VHT D60

I will never pay for music if I'm not getting a hard copy. CDs ftw, the iTunes music store can suck my balls.

ME: RG550/Les Paul
    MA: Taylor GSMiniMahogany
    Rig: PocketPOD/Roland MicroCub

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfMetal View Post
    I will never pay for music if I'm not getting a hard copy. CDs ftw, the iTunes music store can suck my balls.

ME: Gibson LP Custom
    MA: Yamaha APX500
    MB: EBMM Bongo
    Rig: Fractal Axe-FX II

This certainly suggests that we've crossed the generational line that no longer has any attachment to physical media. The diehards who have to have a CD or an LP in their possession are a dying breed and represent a shrinking customer base that becomes less relevant every year. I don't really have a horse in this race, as a consumer, since I've adapted to every format that has come along for the last 40 years, and I will continue to do so for the next 40 years.

As for how it affects musicians, that's an interesting question. It seems like there are fewer superstars being cultivated, but the upside is that digital distribution allows a much greater diversity of product. It may be harder than ever before to become a millionaire, but the flip side is that it is easier than ever to at least get your creative vision out to people. I think, ultimately, it is a positive development.

Gibson | PRS | Jackson | Fender | Dean | Carvin | Warmoth
    Fractal Audio Systems | Marshall | Fender | Boss
    Ernie Ball | Dunlop | Elixir | DR