Akerfeltd from Opeth...IS Opeth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akerfeltd from Opeth...IS Opeth?

Akerfeltd from Opeth...IS Opeth?

So I'm watching a couple interviews about this band and they're mostly Akerfeltd. I'm absolutely loving this band (just found them somehow?!?!)....did Akerfeltd write the entirety of Heritage? It seems that way and that makes me feel like a worm. a gross crunchy old dusty worm of inadequecy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

He is the only original member left. Well, assuming you use the release of the first album as the base for the "original members." If you go back to the very beginning, then there ARE no original members left. But Akerfeldt is the only member on every single album.

It seems that he writes all the songs and then the other members give input. Apparently a lot of the songs on the first 3 albums were written by Akerfeldt with Lindgren. If you watch the making of Deliverance and Damnation, you see how they wrote solos and how they decided which of the guitarists would play a solo, etc.

yea I just stumbled onto the making of videos. why is it so late!!!

motivation for the morrow.

It's good to see this though because I'm having trouble with my writing...ya know...being good. And I was almost telling myself today that it was because i was trying to do everything myself. If only I had other musicians to play with it would be better..

...i'm going to go to bed now with the realization that I have yet to figure out whatever the heck it is that makes that even possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

There are both routes. And you can be in a band with both. In my band, I write about 60-70% of the music and the other guitarist writes the other 30-40%. Then we get in the studio and do some arrangement and adjustments with the drummer (and bass player when we have one). Then, of course, there are bands where no one writes anything outside of the studio and they just come up with everything in a jam.

No wrong way to write a song?

I think there are BETTER ways to write music than others, but yea. It's the fact that one man is able to cohesively get those ideas across. Those excellent, excellent ideas 0.o

ME: Mayones Setius PRO 6

Congratulations that you finally found Opeth, sir! One of the best bands in the world in my book and i'm a fan of theirs for almost their whole career now.
    And yes, Mike is an absolute mastermind and seems to be able to write songs like that on his own. There are some of those genius-dudes out there and I honestly also don't get HOW they do it! Probably you just need to go for it and practice. There's a saying about young photographers that goes like this "You first 10.000 photos are your worst" or something. I think the message behind it also applies to music or songs... so move on, get yourself up and try it! Don't be afraid to "fail", because with every mistake you learn lots of stuff!

that being said let me introduce you to my band EFFLORESCE. Since we all love Opeth we probably do sound a bit like them. Actually that's a comparison, that keeps coming back and someone even said in a review of our latest album "If someone wonders how Opeth would sound like with Anneke Van Giersbergen or Simone Simons on vocals, well this album is exactly the answer". So yeah...
    But getting back to your initial question: We do write songs completely as a group! In our rehearsal room, everyone is throwing ideas back and forth and there's a lot of trial & error involved, but somehow it works for us and everyone feels involved of course, which is great. Feel free to check us out on www.effloresceonline.com

And keep on listening to Opeth and come up with your own stuff, you can do it, man! I'm sure about that!

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2

Akerfeldt is pretty much the main dude in Opeth. I'm sure that the other members he has worked with through the years have provided input, but it's Akerfeldt's band. He has also worked with Steven Wilson quite a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steven had an influence on the sound of Heritage.
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

Quote Originally Posted by zepp View Post
    Akerfeldt is pretty much the main dude in Opeth. I'm sure that the other members he has worked with through the years have provided input, but it's Akerfeldt's band. He has also worked with Steven Wilson quite a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steven had an influence on the sound of Heritage.
    It definitely was influenced by Wilson. Wilson's Grace for Drowning, Heritage, and Storm Corrosion are a bit of an unofficial trilogy.