Intervals/Plini/Angel Vivaldi Shape of Colour Tour 3/29@Mojoes

Thread: Intervals/Plini/Angel Vivaldi Shape of Colour Tour 3/[email protected]

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

Intervals/Plini/Angel Vivaldi Shape of Colour Tour 3/[email protected]

Went to this show last night, and MAN what a show this was. Opening for them were mutual friends of my old band Outrun the Sunlight, and *something* the Archon. Both great bands. Outrun was always a touch boring for my tastes but they play a hell of a show. The second band played with globs, and globs of gain, I could only discipher clean parts, but what I could comprehend was very cool.
    BUT Angel took the stage, in his usual fashion of being fabulously awesome, and IMO stole the show. His tone cut through like nothing I've heard before, but it wasn't unpleasant or harsh like many cutting tones would be. He played the cleanest of the night, least slip ups out of anyone. His guitarist covered his eyes as he did left hand legato across a good 20 frets confidently without missing a note. Him and his guitarist are both top shelf.

Plini took the stage next. Not much to say here, I was a little disappointed with the set list, wish he would've played Heart, but when he played Paper Moon, and the intro riff came back for the outro, I had goosebumps. I HIGHLY recommend listening to The End Of Everything EP by Plini. It's a very refreshing spin on modern progressive instrumental.

And lastly, the headliner of intervals. Plini played rhythm for Aaron, which is a huge reason of why I came to this show. Im not sure what I expected, but he played the album front to back with the exception of one song. And being Prog, of course he played it perfectly, with the patches used to record it. In that sense I was bored with the predictability, Angel, Plini, both Had slight variations to the songs, but intervals was rather dry and true to the album. And they didn't play Nick Johnston's solo on Black Box, which made me sad. With Aaron it was just put into the DAW and played. Don't let that take away from the performance - he was INCREDIBLE - he nailed every quick fill you'll hear on the album like it wasn't nothin'. Had a cool outro where bass, Plini as his rhythm guitarist, and the drummer all got to solo.

The highlight of my night was the merch booth. I just sold my rig so I did spend a little more than I should've(bought tab book + album + shirt from angel and Intervals), but when I got up there I noticed angel was at the booth, taking selfies, signing shit. So I finally make it to him, point to an album, book, shirt, and he asks what my name is, and I told him. He asked 'Teddy Woods?!'
    I was so taken aback in the best way. I took a couple lessons, talked to him here and there on FB, but he remembered me instantly. That said so much more to me than anything else, and maybe I'm being a kid about it, but. That hit home for me, and as if I wasn't already, I'll continue to support this dude as much as I can. I think that's what separates angel from most other 'idols' these days, is that even though some will go comment for comment and reply to fans, I feel like angel actually, truly keeps it at a personal level, and I think the fact that the fans see that is what is fueling his seemingly exponential success. Angel if you read this, best of luck on the tour, and keep it up!
    ^ probably sarcasm.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan121292 View Post
    The highlight of my night was the merch booth. I just sold my rig so I did spend a little more than I should've(bought tab book + album + shirt from angel and Intervals), but when I got up there I noticed angel was at the booth, taking selfies, signing shit. So I finally make it to him, point to an album, book, shirt, and he asks what my name is, and I told him. He asked 'Teddy Woods?!'
    I was so taken aback in the best way. I took a couple lessons, talked to him here and there on FB, but he remembered me instantly. That said so much more to me than anything else, and maybe I'm being a kid about it, but. That hit home for me, and as if I wasn't already, I'll continue to support this dude as much as I can. I think that's what separates angel from most other 'idols' these days, is that even though some will go comment for comment and reply to fans, I feel like angel actually, truly keeps it at a personal level, and I think the fact that the fans see that is what is fueling his seemingly exponential success. Angel if you read this, best of luck on the tour, and keep it up!
    Yeah, man, Angel is possibly the nicest guy in the industry, in addition to having just stupid levels of talent. Last time I caught him in Boston, he was out in the crowd for a bit (I think over at the merch table, I don't remember exactly) just hanging out, and when he saw Rob and I shooting the shit not far away, he yelled out, ran over, and gave us huge hugs, for all extents and purposes making it seem like it was the highlight of his night that we were there.

Not enough good shit can happen to Angel - he deserves all of it.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Not enough good shit can happen to Angel - he deserves all of it.
    Angel is a top-shelf player AND person.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: HD500

I'm bummed I missed the show here in town. Angel is one hell of a musician and writer, and seems to be a great dude.

Drew and Mike, I completely agree with you guys. I always told my mom Angel would turn out to be one of my finest students, up there with some of my others like Malmsteen, Vai, and Mozart.

I got the same vibe from Angel at the NYC show. I had not heard Plini or Intervals before, I enjoyed them both but Angel's set was my fav and he was super cool at the merch table.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Now if only Plini can ask Angel to come down here...