Mike Mangini is only contributing 10% to Dream Theater...
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Mangini is only contributing 10% to Dream Theater...

ME: EBMM JP 13
    MA: Yamaha Classical Guitar
    Rig: Mark V w/ 2x12 V-30 Cab

Mike Mangini is only contributing 10% to Dream Theater...

Question & Response starts at 3:58.

In a recent interview Mangini expressed to in the vid or you can just read how he has not been able to contribute.
    As a fan, I am thoroughly disappointed to find out that he has not been included on more songs...
    Especially, concerning the Self-Titled. Which depending on who you are you either loved or hated.

For Mangini to be in the band still this long, being fully capable to write and borderline the greatest drummer technically in the world, it's just disappointing...
    Not to mention how much of a team-player he is and wants to give his full 100% and more to make this band great.
    I hope sometime this changes because DT is not on a hot-streak of amazing albums. They've had some amazing moments but overall not satisfying.
    Loved seeing DT the other night but I hope this changes soon for their sake and the fans.

Interviewer: Asides from playing drums, what do you think is your biggest contribution to the band?

MM: Humor. I mean, to this stage, I really have been… not included in 2 of the 3 records. Because John, in “A Dramatic Turn of Events”, I was not included, and with “The Astonishing” I was not included. My contribution is “Illumination Theory” both in saying “What do we want to die for?” as a premise to the song and in contributing parts. And other things in DT13 too. But I’m still like… I’m like 10%, you know? So it’s getting there over time. I mean, that the biggest contribution for me is as a team player, you know what I mean? I understand as an athlete, in sports, the whole team has to buy in or it crumbles. And I don’t necessarily care where the plan came from. I don’t care who drew up the plan. I don’t care who’s gotta put the puck in the net. I honestly don’t, but people have to be on the same page. So when I say what I said, which I’ve been blocked out of it- that’s not the right word- but I have not been included. Included for a little bit, but I’ve been on the team and I’ve been giving 110% and that’s a big contribution. Humor is important too. So that’s what I’ve been giving. And I’ve been going with the flow and be what I can be. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Venator; 12-07-2016 at 06:18 AM.
    If anyone has any prayer requests, need to talk, or have questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Feel free to message me.

God Bless, Venator

Instagram: hrouthe

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

That doesn't surprise me at all.

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

I was under the impression that it's been the Rudess and Petrucci show for a while now.

JP contributes the guitar solos and song ideas, and then Rudess contributes all of the 12 minute keyboard solos that nobody likes, along with all of the other stupid shit that makes us not listen to any DT albums anymore.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

It's frustrating man... Especially for Mangini.

Because we all know there capable of incorporating Mangini into and making something totally new. To find out one his favorite tracks is "As I Am."
    They probably could make an amazing straight-forward metal album with all the prog-goodness.

Mangini is probably sticking around for the solo fact he is making good-money to support his family being on tour and he probably makes way more than being a professor at Berklee.
    He's been doing that since leaving Vai's band.

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I guess that's a bit uncool after so long, but I've no idea what the quality of his writing is, and maybe it's not up to par. But I'm not a fan of his playing, and if it's any indication of his writing, I think he'd make DT even worse (not that it matters to me, I haven't listened to anything since Dramatic Turn). The best I've heard from him is on Extreme's Waiting For the Punchline. Otherwise, he always sounds so literal, sterile, and lacks soul. He's technically very good, but so are a million drummers.

If 10% is good enough for God, it's good enough for Dream Theater!

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
    If 10% is good enough for God, it's good enough for Dream Theater!

I guess that's a bit uncool after so long, but I've no idea what the quality of his writing is, and maybe it's not up to par. But I'm not a fan of his playing, and if it's any indication of his writing, I think he'd make DT even worse (not that it matters to me, I haven't listened to anything since Dramatic Turn). The best I've heard from him is on Extreme's Waiting For the Punchline. Otherwise, he always sounds so literal, sterile, and lacks soul. He's technically very good, but so are a million drummers.
    You're not joking when it comes to that Extreme album. He has some ferocious moments on that kit.
    Almost wish he was in Extreme.

Anyway, well Mangini is gifted on the level of Virgil so to speak. He's stupid-smart. It's ridiculous to listen to him give lessons or interviews. The amount of knowledge the guy has is outstanding.
    Concerning his writing, I am quite certain he wrote the middle section of the "The Illumination Theory" as he talks about in the interview, it happens to be my favorite part.
    It's like the most interesting thing in DT's musicality in some time.

12:16