NPD: Specular Tempus

Thread: NPD: Specular Tempus

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

NPD: Specular Tempus

Bar none, the most amazing reverb unit I've ever heard. Not without it's drawbacks though, it's pretty difficult to navigate the menu, plus the PC app is a little buggy (deleting the entire preset at the point of saving it), and you can only see certain parameters (like reverb levels on a delay preset) in the PC app. But you cannot deny the reverbs on this thing, especially the Spatium, Shimmer, and Anti-Shimmer are all insane. The delays are 2290 quality as well. I wish it was programmable more like the rack effect way of doing things, scrolling through menus and changing parameters on a screen that makes sense, but this unit makes the G-System seem user-friendly. It has some odd features I'd never use too, like it's own effects loop using 1/8" plugs, and an Aux In and Aux Out jack, which I still haven't read enough about to know why they're there.

Positives: Some of the best reverbs you've ever heard, and the delays are high quality too. Super transparent, virtually no tone suck, amazing amazing amazing stereo sounds. It has a few extra effects in it too such as a basic chorus & vibrato, plus some pitch shifting capabilities on the delays.

Cons: Hard to program, buggy software, and the biggest drawback: Using the high end delays means you can only use a basic reverb, using the high-end reverbs means you can only use the basic delays. Not sure why they programmed it like this, but that's how it works. This is still worth the price, but they could charge double if they had programmed it to use full functionality of both reverbs and delays at the same time. What if I want a pitch-shifted delay feeding a lush reverb? The Boss MS3 can do this, not sure why the Tempus can't.

NPD: Specular Tempus-spec-jpg

Not my video, but you get the point:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NPD: Specular Tempus-spec-jpg  

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I'm a sucker for anything with an LED screen and extra lights.

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

If it's hard to edit, people will still probably go to strymon, empress and eventide then. But I'm all for more spacey shit on the market

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: BOSS guitar.
    MA: BOSS should make one.
    MB: pitched shifted with BOSS
    Rig: All BOSS. All you need.

I'm guessing the limitations are there due to CPU power. But yeah, looks like a sweet device.

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    If it's hard to edit, people will still probably go to strymon, empress and eventide then. But I'm all for more spacey shit on the market
    If the PC app wasn't so buggy, it'd be alright. When it works, the PC app is great and allows you to set up 1-4 banks and be able to recall them via MIDI.

So I've had the Specular Tempus for about a year now, and I have to say it is the best reverb and best delay pedal I've ever had. I have it fully integrated with my pedalboard via MIDI, and it's just an incredible sounding unit. I don't have a clip to share right now, but I am writing quite a bit of softer, more ambient music lately, and this pedal just kills. I'd honestly put it in the same class as Eventide, Strymon, and Source Audio. The only negative is that you really have to use the PC app to modify presets, otherwise it always sticks modulation on everything. There are reverbs that include delays, and there are delays that include reverbs, the only drawbacks are that the more sophisticated delays and reverbs do not have settings together. I'm not sure if it's a CPU issue or what, but for what I need and how I have it integrated into my pedalboard, it's just great.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Pretty cool Vince Looking forward to hearing some stuff with it.

I am basically just using an Avalanche Run now and while it sounds pretty good - the reverb doesn't really have a lot of options and i have been looking at other units with more functionality.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ