Overdrive/distortion optioms for Jackson SL2 pro series please.

Thread: Overdrive/distortion optioms for Jackson SL2 pro series please.

Overdrive/distortion optioms for Jackson SL2 pro series please.

Hi,

I have just bought a new Jackson SL2 in the UK (which had good reviews over here). I dug out my old equipment (having not played much for over 10 years) and my (Boss GT-3 circa 1999) which amazingly still works after 10 years of garage/loft storage seems a little bit dated with its distortion/overdrive options in relation to some of more modern metal sounds that I like etc.

Forgive me for not being a huge knowledge on current metal effects (but as always, I read a lot of users saying the magazines online reviews are dubious at best and I always much prefer the input from current players/un-paid reviewers etc, hence asking in here). Plus the GT-3 clearly has a lack of tone on its metal effects.

Sound wise I have enjoyed tracks by 'As I Lay Dying', 'War of Ages' and 'Machinehead' over recent years, tracks like 'Parralells', 'Paralyzed' and 'Locust' to name a few.

What I am looking for is a pedal/effects board that has more modern metal sounds to use when not wanting a GT-3 sound etc. Cost not too important, although I am just a hobby player, playing over tracks/backing tracks etc. Up to $100-250 for a pedal roughly, best bang for the buck really.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, any further answers needed, please ask. The GT-3 is still great for delay and chorus sounds, so I am just looking for a well rounded new style metal pedal/processor if possible.

Thanks for reading, from Richard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

What amp are you using? You might be best served with a boss katana combo.

The reality is that all of those bands you listed use 5150 variants or dual recs etc. Your not going to sound like that without serious outlay but if you want nice usable tones and flexibility for bedroom playing at a reasonable price a katana is a good option.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Rivera KR7, 5153, MKIV

Remember too that a lot of the tone on albums comes from the mic and positioning as well so it will sound different than "in the room". If you want the album type sound a modeler would be better imo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SL2Q MAH
    MA: Yamaha FG700S
    Rig: EVH 5150 III 50W

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

If you're looking for distortion pedals/preamps, I'd highly recommend the AMT line. I had a P2 for a few years and loved it, and the R2 is almost 1:1 with the preamp of a rectifier:

I've heard good things about the REVV pedals too, but I haven't played one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What amp are you using? You might be best served with a boss katana combo.

The reality is that all of those bands you listed use 5150 variants or dual recs etc. Your not going to sound like that without serious outlay but if you want nice usable tones and flexibility for bedroom playing at a reasonable price a katana is a good option.
    Hi, thanks for the reply, I have a small KGA10fx amp which I have, but do not use at the moment.

The reason being, I am setting up my Soloist with effects pedals (old and new) and going straight into a high end Orbit Sound (UK company) HiFi stack system via the 3.5mm out socket. As usual my plans are to be as compact a design set up as possible due to small house with kids getting in the way lol. The KGA10fx is a well reviewed amp, but nothing special. So far just through the Orbit Sound HiFi the guitar sounds good with just the GT-3 inbetween the HiFi.

I have just bought/ordered a Boss RV-6 and a 5 star rated 3 effect system called The Ammoon Multi-Effects Pedal Strip on Amazon (shit name, but 5 star reviews UK and state side), so hopefully that will do for now.

The Boss Katana looks good for reviews and will be in the to-look-at pile when buying more. And forgive me, is that an EVH 5150 amp that you mention?

Apologies, I really am from the stone age of metal, my favourite music to play is folky/blues (thankfully those genre's are fairly easy sounds to achieve with just modest equipment) but I do love some of the melodic-new-metal tracks that pop up every now and then, with tracks that seem to be pushing the boundaries with tones, rhythms and melodies/harmonies etc.

And whilst I do like a load of different types of music. The quality of some of these new-metal-era recorded tracks is just a sensational mix of artist and recording/mixing talent etc.

And as usual trying to reproduce these sounds in our front room is going to hurt my/our pockets for sure! 😁
    Last edited by Rastonian; 12-22-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
    Remember too that a lot of the tone on albums comes from the mic and positioning as well so it will sound different than "in the room". If you want the album type sound a modeler would be better imo.
    Thanks for the info, I must be getting old, I will have to Google a 'modeler' I have never heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    If you're looking for distortion pedals/preamps, I'd highly recommend the AMT line. I had a P2 for a few years and loved it, and the R2 is almost 1:1 with the preamp of a rectifier:

I've heard good things about the REVV pedals too, but I haven't played one in person.
    Thanks for the info, I see the R2 and P2 have excellent reviews.