Digital Wireless systems

Thread: Digital Wireless systems

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Digital Wireless systems

I've just run into an issue that I've never encountered before, thought I'd post here for anyone thinking of going digital wireless. I just did a couple of weeks touring out in Germany, flew over with my Kemper and my old Line 6 G90* which I've owned and gigged for about 10 years with no major issues.

Rehearsals all went fine, come the first show we soundchecked on new batteries and everything was great. Get onstage and my signal starts getting undergained and cutting out, eventually the tech swapped me onto a cable. On the next show, I changed over to my other pack with a brand new patch lead, brand new batteries again, same story that everything is fine in soundcheck but, come line check, the tech starts getting the same issue.

The conclusion we had to draw was that in a room full of cell phones all pointed at the stage, 2.4ghz wireless systems don't behave well. I switched over to a traditional UHF system which a member of the crew managed to 'borrow' from another act who were currently off the road and, hey presto, no more problems.

* If you have to fly with a rack, the Gator 4U Short rack is exactly the max dimensions to fit in an overheard locker, so you can carry it as hand luggage. Spent ages trawling through rack cases to find this out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Yeah, I'm getting a ton of 2.4ghz congestion as well. The biggest trouble maker lately are my Bluetooth headphones that interfere with my WiFi whenever I have them on (that applies to my home, my office and my workshop).
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Solar A1.6ET

UHF, is that "analog wireless"?

They don't have any noteworty latency either, am I right? I've read and heard it!

Unlike digital which usually has about 5-6-7 ms latency?

But digital should have better sound quality, right? So it's a give and take. I rather have "no latency" vs better sound quality, honestly.

Good thing I never bought into this 2.4 wireless stuff, I knew some day it would be trouble

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    UHF, is that "analog wireless"?

They don't have any noteworty latency either, am I right? I've read and heard it!

Unlike digital which usually has about 5-6-7 ms latency?

But digital should have better sound quality, right? So it's a give and take. I rather have "no latency" vs better sound quality, honestly.

Good thing I never bought into this 2.4 wireless stuff, I knew some day it would be trouble
    Yeah, UHF is the analogue frequency range that has been used for decades. I've never been aware of any latency on the digital, but made the decision based as you say on signal quality, and also because each country has it's own 'legal' frequency ranges to operate UHF wireless gear, which you may or may not have to buy a licence for whereas 2.4ghz is universal. I'm going to make a move back to UHF for now, the signal problems messed with my head as these shows were right at the limit of my abilities and I needed things to go smoothly.

ME: Solar A1.6ET

I see!

Oh well, I think I'll stick to cables a while longer actually. I can't justify buying a wireless when I'm gigging like 2-3 times a year

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Probably not cellphones, well, not the carrier band anyway, but probably wifi, have a read of this:

https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/2015/05/04/do-cellphones-and-wifi-interfere-with-wireless-audio-equipment

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Probably not cellphones, well, not the carrier band anyway, but probably wifi, have a read of this:

https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/2015/05/04/do-cellphones-and-wifi-interfere-with-wireless-audio-equipment
    I suspect it was an amalgam of phones, wifi, other digital wireless systems (although we made sure they were channel seperated) and we were also carrying FOH gear that connected to stageboxes via Private Network. It was definitely only a problem once the audience were in the room though.