Re-amp to improve wireless tone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-amp to improve wireless tone

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Re-amp to improve wireless tone

After running into the problems I've recently posted about with Digital wireless, I've been looking at UHF alternatives. Part of me wants to go full on Shure UR4 (as used by Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and many other enormodome experienced acts), however the physical size of the unit may be a problem as my rack is sized to fly as hand luggage. I may end up going Sennheiser G3/G4 as I already run a G2 IEM and I could mount both in the space left by the G90.

In researching, I came across this article by the head of Radial regarding using a Re-Amp box after wireless units to smooth out buffering. Planning to do some tests with the G90 as I've got a Cuniberti box lying around, just wondered if anyone has any experience to share?

Use a Re-amp box between wireless and amp

I can't deny that my guitar tone was sounding thin in my ears this last tour, I was mainly monitoring through a floor wedge and then balancing out with the IEM volume if I needed more, but I'm not sure if that is coming from the more basic drivers I'm wearing or if the signal was taking a hit from the wireless.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

No experience of this, but I'd be intrigued to hear what you think
    I'm so metal I shit bats

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Is this just a monitoring issue? How's the sound out front?

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Is this just a monitoring issue? How's the sound out front?
    I've been trying to sort through the variables. Whenever the tech was sound-checking it always sounded pretty good, tried to video a couple of times but he always stopped as soon as I got the camera on.

We were running a desk that could record multi-track and every day the sound guy would play back to get a feel of the next club's system, always sounded ok although maybe thinner than in check, don't know if this was a consequence of the overall mix or something in the processing, possibly even just over-picking with adrenaline. I've been promised copies so maybe I can do some comparison at home and figure it out.

My ears were just a guitar balance between me and the other guy in stereo, but I also had myself coming through the wedge so I could get some natural feedback on the leads. Perhaps there was almost some kind of cancellation between the two, so I was only really hearing the EQ difference between the wedge and my ears.

I think I'm going to try changing over to thicker picks. I've been using green sharpies to get note definiton, perhaps that's contributing to the presence and lack of body that I'm hearing (possibly imagining). So many variables.

More mids?

Also, as an avid Jazz-3-but-whatever-Troochi-is-doing, I've been trying out that new giant, fat Jazz pick Petrucci has been using, and I'm finding it pretty awesome. Pick scrape noise is down a bit, and I think notes are ringing out a bit clearer.

Update on this. Did a test between Cable/Wireless/Wireless through Re-amp box and my conclusion is that you lose something with Wireless that you can't bring back.

Cable: Great
    Wireless: If you imagine playing Blackened, then the bottom string was 'disappearing' quicker on wireless than on cable, like there was less headroom and it didn't have the space to hang around
    Wireless with Re-amp box: No difference at all

Bearing in mind though, this was on a 13 year old G90. I've just picked up a Sennheiser G3 so I'm going to run the test again and see what happens.

I think Radial makes a product for that "wireless loss" thing, that basically changes the impedance of the signal.

Ahh! Here we go... https://www.radialeng.com/product/dragster

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

So why not just use cables?