Ernie Ball have released a couple of new gauges - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Ball have released a couple of new gauges

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    I've just used these D'Addario 10.5-48 in E Standard, worked really nicely:

D'Addario EXL110+
    Yep, these ones. Only flaw is that though they are perfect for Eb, I prefer something heavier on the 6th string if I am dropping it to C#, on both 24.75" and 25.5" guitars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    and ever since they released their NYXL's, in both regular, hybrid, and balanced tension sets

Do they have different tension sets on same gauges? Asking because I replaced the 09-46 set of regular D'Addario Strings on my RG550 and decided to try NYXLs 10-46 and had to remove them a week later. Seemed I was playing through 11's on E tuning. Also they were super super Bright (I really dont like the sound and feel of fresh new strings... yeah I know...)

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    10-52 are, to me, horribly unbalanced, and I don't mean because it's two sets put together (obviously, it's a hybrid set, not meant to be balanced)... but for drop tunings especially, the second/third strings are horrendously tight compared to the low 52, down in C#/C especially.

I pick hard, but it's not about that for me. If I were just playing straight up riffy/fast metal then I'd stick with it, absolutely. But I don't. I need a bit more finesse in the left hand, big bends, big squeels, big vibrato, lots of mojo and personality. I just can't do that in a way that feels fluid with tight strings

10-46 in Eb for me is perfect, what I've been using for years. I swap the 46 out for a 52 for drop C#. But I've just gone down to D standard/drop C. 11's don't feel nice on a 25.5" superstrat, so 10's are fine, but the lower 3 strings are just that tiny bit too spaghetti-like. The extra little jump in gauge is just what I was after.
    They're not made for what you do. They're made for short scale instruments, like Gibsons. There are those of us who want slinky feeling plain strings for leads, but tight wound strings for rhythm. I don't quite know why, but wound strings always feel looser on a 24.75" scale guitar, so I wind up sounding notes sharp with a 10-48 set. It's that "bwong" sort of sound you hear out of Hetfield live when he picks like a hammer. To me, 10-52 on 24.75" feels the same as 9-46 on 25.5", no matter what tension chart you put in front of me.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    They're not made for what you do. They're made for short scale instruments, like Gibsons. There are those of us who want slinky feeling plain strings for leads, but tight wound strings for rhythm. I don't quite know why, but wound strings always feel looser on a 24.75" scale guitar, so I wind up sounding notes sharp with a 10-48 set. It's that "bwong" sort of sound you hear out of Hetfield live when he picks like a hammer. To me, 10-52 on 24.75" feels the same as 9-46 on 25.5", no matter what tension chart you put in front of me.
    I get that, completely.

Along that same train of thought... even though 11s in E on a 24.75" guitar are more taught than on a 25.5" in D standard, they just feel horrible and less enjoyable to play on the 25.5" guitar. I can handle the higher tension on the short scale better than on the long. It's odd. But like you say, show me all the tension charts on the world, I don't care, they just feel odd on a 25.5" guitar, nothing to do with the tension.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I get that, completely.

Along that same train of thought... even though 11s in E on a 24.75" guitar are more taught than on a 25.5" in D standard, they just feel horrible and less enjoyable to play on the 25.5" guitar. I can handle the higher tension on the short scale better than on the long. It's odd. But like you say, show me all the tension charts on the world, I don't care, they just feel odd on a 25.5" guitar, nothing to do with the tension.

We all like what we like. For some reason, wound strings always feel more pliant to me, so I the bigger the better.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

We all like what we like. For some reason, wound strings always feel more pliant to me, so I the bigger the better.
    Except wound 3rds. Wound 3rds are the worst invention in the history of guitar.

Also, the hardcore LP snobs firmly believe round core strings are more pliant than hex cores. More "classic" as well. I am inclined to agree. They are slinkier. I still use both, but I use round cores about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Except wound 3rds. Wound 3rds are the worst invention in the history of guitar.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Rivera KR7, 5153, MKIV

Plain 3rd on 12 gauge and up though is a bit of a yikes sometimes