Ernie Ball have released a couple of new gauges - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ernie Ball have released a couple of new gauges

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I actually tried those! I tried them because I used to buy Daddario 10-46 And swap out the 46 for a 52, but then I discovered the KFK pack already comes with an extra 52 for that exact reason; if you want to drop-tune.

They were so bad that I complained to the supplier, who refunded me AND sent me out another pack to try, which were in even worse condition than the first ones.

They had some weird black marks on the plain strings, like they'd been burnt or something, and they just felt fucking awful under the fingers. Worst strings ever.

And no those weren't the only Dunlops I've tried. They all suck. But those were the worst.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Fuck it I'm settling on the 10-52's. Gonna just deal with the heavy 2nd and 3rd strings. Not a huge problem in this tuning and actually sounds really good (got a great palm muted crunch!)

So now I can just stick with d'addario... anybody tried the NYXL? Hype or worth it?

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I switched to D'Addario many years back
    Right. This is what happens to everyone, right? You start playing guitar on EBs, then realize eventually that they feel terrible compared to everything else and make a switch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

D’Addario already makes an 11-52 set. I’ve got a box of NYXL’s of that. Great for D standard on a 25” scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    D’Addario already makes an 11-52 set. I’ve got a box of NYXL’s of that. Great for D standard on a 25” scale.
    Do you find any sonic benefit over the standard ones? And do they truly last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Do you find any sonic benefit over the standard ones? And do they truly last longer?
    I don’t think there’s any sonic benefit. But they do seem to last longer, without being coated garbage like Elixirs. Tuning stability seems better too.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I try out strings like they are candy. So I could have these mixed up with another style / brand. From what I remember when I tried the NYXL they seemed brighter and louder. Needless to say I was not impressed enough to buy another pack though. After wasting money on all the specialty / innovative strings, I always went back to regular Daddario or Ernie Ball stings. My main thing now is always testing out different gauges and tunings.

If anyone has a Guitar Center near them, sign up for the String Club (thats if you change your strings every month) For $20 you join the String Club. They give you a membership String Club card. Every month you get $5 off when you buy a pack of strings for a year! Lets say you go in and buy a set of strings that are $5.80. With the card you are only paying $.80 Its a pretty awesome deal