L6 Backtrack: More useful than you'd expect - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L6 Backtrack: More useful than you'd expect

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Has an in and out, so you can put it anywhere in your chain. In my case, I'm just running the guitar straight in with no amp, so everything's tracked DI.

Conceivably you could plug into your Kemper like normal and run the output into this thing, so the recordings would come through with your Kemper patch audio on it. Not that it would be of a lot use if you're already sitting at your recording desk I guess but in practice, it's still kinda nice having it chop all your noodling up into pieces.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25->Mesa Cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Yes because of the auto start stop. I'm not sure if any apps work that way but even if they did, you're going to trigger it with the noise in the room unless you use a dongle and at that point, you're at the price of this thing used. And I'm frequently using my phone for a backing track or metronome at the same time.

It a 'oh, cute' thing at $100+, but for $25, it lives on my nightstand. Kinda wish you didn't have to unload it via cable (was using my phone for ideas before and cloud is nice) but in my workflow, all ideas need to make it onto the computer anyway.
    That’s a good point. It probably would have done well at like $49.99 new, but $100 is too pricey.

TC makes a cool one that goes on your board, but I don’t think it’s got the automatic features.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...recorder-pedal

Connects via Bluetooth, which is cool.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

I could see this being a cool thing to have depending on the player.

Unfortunately, my problem is less coming up with new ideas, and more finishing existing ideas. Once Line 6 makes a product for that I'm in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    my problem is less coming up with new ideas, and more finishing existing ideas. Once Line 6 makes a product for that I'm in.
    As much as I'm enjoying this thing, I can only imagine what an idea finished by Line 6 technology would sound like.

Alright, a little post-honeymoon update.

I'd say on paper and when I first got it I'd give it an 8.5/10 for the price I paid for it. Still a good value but I'd walk it back to maybe a 6/10 in practice.

Hitting on a couple of the detractors I've discovered after using it for a while:

- It's very small and light, which is generally an okay thing. However, it's designed to be clipped to your belt or pocket if you're just jamming. I've tried it this way a couple times and if you use too big/heavy a cord, it weighs the thing down to where it wants to fall off or you use a short cord and just moving your body jerks the thing around. If you ha d a happy balance (like a 1ft long George L style cable) then you're probably alright but still inconvenient.

- Unloading onto the computer isn't as much of a pain in the ass as I'd have anticipated but the bigger issue is organizing your files. When I would record on my phone, I'd noodle something then save the audio file with a name so I knew what it was, like "stonerriffdropA.mp3" or whatever. With this, I'll go to unload files from a jam session and I'll have 6 or 7 files and not remember what riffs I played in what order, so I'll have to relisten to them to come up with relevant file names. That dovetails into my last point but first, the other thing I didn't anticipate is that I save all my ideas on the cloud, so this also adds one more step.

- Last thing and imo, biggest issue, is the workflow. I expected it to kinda streamline my workflow with regard to filtering ideas but hasn't had that effect. The main perk was it recording you automatically and clipping files and being able to favorite stuff. Awesome on paper but in practice, I notice I rarely stop long enough for the Backtrack to detect and clip a new track. So of you're going fast and heavy and a great idea jumps out, you have to stop, wait 3 seconds, then play it again and in my experience, even that small amount of time in between is enough to lose exactly what you did, just like if you were noodling and had to stop to get out your phone.

Overall, still not bad for the second hand price but doesn't just snap right into place of your workflow like I was anticipating.