NGearD: I feel like I'm always a year behind.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NGearD: I feel like I'm always a year behind.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

NGearD: I feel like I'm always a year behind.

Came home to a bunch of boxes this week(3rd box is a thread coming soon):

Boss Ms-3 by SR, on Flickr

Hey look, more Boss!

New pedalboard:

I like this thing a lot, got rid of my old Zoom G3, a Boss NS2, and the channel switch from my amp. Now it's one button clean-rhythm-lead switching. The send from the loops feels like it needs to be a bit hotter for 4 cable, but it works. The phaser in the unit is a bit too complicated for me, so I kept the little Donner on the board just for that, and there's no way I'll let the Korg leave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Update after a (couple) day(s) playing with it:

The wah in this is pretty good, though I'm not a big wah user. The s-bend is sooo much better than a pedal whammy. The effects are good, though I knew that from the GT8 I had years ago, and the Katana. Is it an AxeFX? No, but you wanna sell me a used AX8 for $250? Didn't think so.

The CURRNUM system is really cool. I was thinking I would need some extra switches, but with that and assigns tied to it, it's not really necessary.

That M-audio Ex-P is a POS, btw. It's $25 new, and it shows. The plastic piece that links the pedal to the pot inside is already broken, had to use a zip-tie and some glue to fix it. I don't gig, and wah isn't a big deal to me, so maybe I'll replace it in a while.

Okay, since it's been a hell of a 2 weeks, I thought I should update this. The MS-3 doesn't play nicely with the loop in my amp. It sounded slightly off, and I tried a dozen ways to fix it(loop levels, running it only in the loop, running the OD between it and the amp, etc), and I give up.

I listed it on ebay and bought a Headrush Gigboard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

yes! Assign the S-Bend to a momentary pedal, set it to one octave up, and you can use it like a whammy pedal, only using one button instead of an expression pedal

Also this thing rips for 4CM, you can manage the levels in the master mix or the overall patch volume. DOn't be afraid of the assigns menu, you can do some great things in there. I have a MIDI send assigned to the shred mode of my JP2C on my lead patch, for example, so I can play leads with or without a gain boost. This turns the shred mode on the amp into a stomp box.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yes! Assign the S-Bend to a momentary pedal, set it to one octave up, and you can use it like a touch whammy with one button

Also this thing rips for 4CM, you can manage the levels in the master mix or the overall patch volume. DOn't be afraid of the assigns menu, you can do some great things in there. I have a MIDI send assigned to the shred mode of my JP2C on my lead patch, for example, so I can play leads with or without a gain boost. This turns the shred mode on the amp into a stomp box.
    I just don't think it plays well with the Laney's loop, my old Digitech RP1000 didn't either. I was getting serious digital artifacts no matter how I ran it. I worked great, just not with my amp, and I'm not selling the amp over an effects unit.

I bought the Gigboard from Music123, so it it doesn't work 4-cable with this amp either I'll return it for some single pedals. It has level controls and a rack/pedal output switch on it's loop though.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

That's interesting. I've played a lot of multi-FX processors either in my amp or rack's loop and used 4CM on a lot of them, and all of them add some digitalness, but I've found the MS3 seems to add the least of all of the ones I've used (G-Force, HD500, AFX Ultra, MPX G2, G-System). I can definitely hear a difference when I turn the loop off on the amp, but it's minor. For live use or in a band, it's not going to be noticable. For recording, the only way I'll really record an amp is just with an overdrive in front and nothing else, because I agree nothing beats that dry analog sound.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Let me know how the headrush works out. I have been kind of interested in them.

Sucks the boss didn't work it for you.

I am sort of gravitating to the new Fractal unit, but am still on the fence. I don't really need it so it is hard for me to justify the price.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    That's interesting. I've played a lot of multi-FX processors either in my amp or rack's loop and used 4CM on a lot of them, and all of them add some digitalness, but I've found the MS3 seems to add the least of all of the ones I've used (G-Force, HD500, AFX Ultra, MPX G2, G-System). I can definitely hear a difference when I turn the loop off on the amp, but it's minor. For live use or in a band, it's not going to be noticable. For recording, the only way I'll really record an amp is just with an overdrive in front and nothing else, because I agree nothing beats that dry analog sound.
    I think it's just the loop on this amp. It has a 0db or -10db settings, but the channel volumes are before Loop, and has a post phase inverter master volume. So the channel volumes drive the phase inverter. My issue with the MS3 was that the amp's loop was distorting it's input, either the Boss' loop return or the main guitar in. If I dug into a note even slightly it would crackle. Lowering the volumes seemed to castrate the amp's tone/sustain.

I've had a couple 4CM setups that worked fine; my old GH50L + GT8, or GH50L/6505+/Engl FB/Jet City 22H with an RP1000. When I got this amp I tried to hook the RP1000 up to the same way I had the Engl set-up and it gave me volume troubles.

I really like the way the MS-3 worked, and the effects were good, just could not get it to sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetta View Post
    Let me know how the headrush works out. I have been kind of interested in them.

Sucks the boss didn't work it for you.

I am sort of gravitating to the new Fractal unit, but am still on the fence. I don't really need it so it is hard for me to justify the price.
    I'll probably start a thread about it when it gets here. $500[b-stock on ebay] is really pushing it for an effects unit for me, Fractal is out.