FRiedman MIC-NO-MO - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FRiedman MIC-NO-MO

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    - No IR loading capability
    - No loadbox functionality

I don't get this at all. There are cheaper options, and also much more flexible options for not much more money. What exactly does this do to justify it's existence besides saying "Friedman" on it?
    Not that I’m defending Friedman, but what’s drastically cheaper than this, AND sounds good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Well, it's a bigger deal when playing live, where you could have upwards of 10+ mics on stage, all interacting.
    ...when you're talking about sound reinforcement for an extremely loud instrument that you normally close mic from within an inch of the grill, that;s the least susceptible mic for bleed on the stage?

If you want to argue that it makes it easier to, say, get good drum overhead mics because you can keep the guitars lower on stage, then sure, I guess... but a modern high gain amp doesn't need THAT much poweramp saturation, and as long as you're pointing the cabs away from the drums and out into the hall, bleed shouldn't be a huge issue.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Well, it's a bigger deal when playing live, where you could have upwards of 10+ mics on stage, all interacting.
    ...and a bunch of people running around to kick micstands over!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    ...when you're talking about sound reinforcement for an extremely loud instrument that you normally close mic from within an inch of the grill, that;s the least susceptible mic for bleed on the stage?

If you want to argue that it makes it easier to, say, get good drum overhead mics because you can keep the guitars lower on stage, then sure, I guess... but a modern high gain amp doesn't need THAT much poweramp saturation, and as long as you're pointing the cabs away from the drums and out into the hall, bleed shouldn't be a huge issue.
    Lower stage volume makes mixing for the crowd infinitely easier. Especially if you can do in ear monitors and have basically no stage volume at all.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Ring can be, though, especially when the amps are quiet.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Having gigged quite a bit, cab micing on stage is a pain. If you can just plug an XLR into a cab sim (with an IR you really dig), it is truly one less thing you need to worry about when you're about to perform.

Half the reason I bought my Torpedo Live is for this application. It has a passthrough, so I can run the amp through the Torpedo, and go into my cab, but then pass on the mic'd signal through a line-out on the back, and then not at all worry about your tone getting boned by a bad house-mic, it getting kicked over or knocked around, and it makes it easier for the FOH to mix things.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Eh, call me the old curmudgeon here, then, but I've always thought micing an amp live isn't that hard, and you don't need THAT much stage volume to get a great sound out of any of my Mesas. I'd rather just point a SM57 just off the cap.

Eh, call me the old curmudgeon here
    Okay, old curmudgeon.

You can argue whether or not an analog box like this, or an IR-based solution, or whatever isn't as good as a mic, but I just can't see why you'd prefer a mic on the floor getting knocked around and out of place over a DI. If I were to do a mic, I'd rather go e906 anyway. It's out of the way, and sounds much better than a SM57.