Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FRiedman MIC-NO-MO

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Okay, old curmudgeon.

You can argue whether or not an analog box like this, or an IR-based solution, or whatever isn't as good as a mic, but I just can't see why you'd prefer a mic on the floor getting knocked around and out of place over a DI. If I were to do a mic, I'd rather go e906 anyway. It's out of the way, and sounds much better than a SM57.
    I've never worked with a 906, but while they're super position sensitive, I have yet to try anything that I like more on a guitar than a SM57. Yeah, I like it more with something to support it (the SM57/MD421 pairing rules), but once you get it dialed in it just rules.

And if you're playing live and you're standing right on top of your amp then you've got bigger problems, I'd say. I'm not overly worried about a mic getting knocked, and honestly at this point I can mic my cab by eye and get it 95%+ right anyway so if it were to get knocked over it's an easy fix.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Okay, old curmudgeon.

You can argue whether or not an analog box like this, or an IR-based solution, or whatever isn't as good as a mic, but I just can't see why you'd prefer a mic on the floor getting knocked around and out of place over a DI. If I were to do a mic, I'd rather go e906 anyway. It's out of the way, and sounds much better than a SM57.
    This. I'll be the first person to say I vastly prefer mics to other solutions. But these boxes realistically do quite a good job of emulating a cheap dynamic microphone. My cab clone is far from the best product on the market for this but it's certainly not hard to get a good tone out of. The extra 15% I can get out of a mic just isn't worth the hassles involved in some situations.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Price is fair for what it is if it sounds good. Honestly way more reasonably in pricing than I would have thought. Most people have spent more on pedals they never use.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I've never worked with a 906, but while they're super position sensitive, I have yet to try anything that I like more on a guitar than a SM57. Yeah, I like it more with something to support it (the SM57/MD421 pairing rules), but once you get it dialed in it just rules.

And if you're playing live and you're standing right on top of your amp then you've got bigger problems, I'd say. I'm not overly worried about a mic getting knocked, and honestly at this point I can mic my cab by eye and get it 95%+ right anyway so if it were to get knocked over it's an easy fix.
    The 609/906 both have awesome side address designs and don't require stands. Fucking awesome mics, highly recommend trying one if you haven't already. Big fan. Best product Sennheiser makes in any of its divisions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: BOSS guitar.
    MA: BOSS should make one.
    MB: pitched shifted with BOSS
    Rig: All BOSS. All you need.

You don't have to be standing right on top of your amp to have someone knock over your mic stand in passing. And yeah, I definitely like the e609/906 better than the SM57 any day, so there's that. Sounds better, easier to place, no stand needed. I'm glad I got the 609, and glad I listened to Greg and got the 906 too.
    I bleed BOSS blue. Yoshi Ikegami is my spirit animal.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Eh, call me the old curmudgeon here, then, but I've always thought micing an amp live isn't that hard, and you don't need THAT much stage volume to get a great sound out of any of my Mesas. I'd rather just point a SM57 just off the cap.
    You clearly haven't tried recording with a toddler running around in the background

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    You clearly haven't tried recording with a toddler running around in the background
    That's something I'm quite proud of, actually.

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

And being able to record totally silently with no cab volume at all is just too good to pass up.
    ESP DV8-R
    ESP Snakebyte
    Kemper Profiling Amp
    ENGL Savage 120
    ENGL 412XXL

Hellevate

ME: BOSS guitar.
    MA: BOSS should make one.
    MB: pitched shifted with BOSS
    Rig: All BOSS. All you need.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    And being able to record totally silently with no cab volume at all is just too good to pass up.
    You do need to make sure you have a load though, FYI. This is just a DI. If you need the whole deal, the Captor is the nuts.