Speaker cables- Is there something I'm missing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cables- Is there something I'm missing?

ME: Ibanez RGD Prestige
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Speaker cables- Is there something I'm missing?

I was using a Planet Waves speaker cable between my head and cab until recently. After a pre-gig rehearsal, I forgot to take it out before putting the cover back on my amp and that bent it slightly.
    Got to the gig and when the guitarist from the band soundchecking before us moved his head for me, he said I could use his cable, which turned out to be a fortunate twist of fate because when I plugged in again at home, I think the damage to my cable (which I had shrugged off) caused my head to blow something in its power section, so now it's giving me a super quiet output.

To move on to the actual question, are there any cable manufacturers (for speakers) worth going to over the typical commercial stuff? Planet Waves, BOSS, etc don't seem to use any particularly rugged looking jacks and I want something a bit more mistake-proof

I have cleartone (from award-session for my instrument cables, for the record)
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I bought one of these, because I was buying tubes, and I thought it looked cool

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/E...e-761p2717.htm

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

I've used these badboys with the Neutrik ends for a long time and I've always been happy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NZN

I have 3 or 4 of those lying around and an old Monster speaker cable from the 90s, and all are pretty heavy duty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Hosa is a solid cable brand. All my patch cables are Hosa's, and they're all dead quiet

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Rivera KR7, 5153, MKIV

I just got a 14 gauge or whatever one from guitar center like 10 years ago and it's worked fine for me but I don't gig so not sure how the durability would be otherwise.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

I've used planet waves cables (speaker) for years without issues... Find them nice and rugged, thick and durable, never had one break.

However, if I did have a broken one, or bent one, I'd just throw it away and not use it.

Don't think you're missing anything, as long as it's a speaker cable, and not an instrument one (some people do not know the difference, so watch out for that) it's good.

If you really want rugged, and more mistake proof, maybe look at angled neutrik jacks with some quality speaker lead in between. Dead easy to make, as speaker cable just looks like a power cable on the inside.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    I've used planet waves cables (speaker) for years without issues... Find them nice and rugged, thick and durable, never had one break.

However, if I did have a broken one, or bent one, I'd just throw it away and not use it.

Don't think you're missing anything, as long as it's a speaker cable, and not an instrument one (some people do not know the difference, so watch out for that) it's good.

If you really want rugged, and more mistake proof, maybe look at angled neutrik jacks with some quality speaker lead in between. Dead easy to make, as speaker cable just looks like a power cable on the inside.
    Same here but I was surprised to hear guitar guitar stopped carrying them years ago due to the volume of returns they created

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Same here but I was surprised to hear guitar guitar stopped carrying them years ago due to the volume of returns they created
    Really? Mine are ridiculously chunky, pretty heavy duty. Although planet waves did offer lifetime guarantee or whatever I think. Maybe it's their instrument cables? As those I am ambivalent about (apart from the american master ones or whatever they're called) as molded for instrument cable I have never liked.