Rocktron re-released the VooDu Valve preamp - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocktron re-released the VooDu Valve preamp

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Doesn't the Voodu use the Pirhana drive tones, or am I thinking of something else?
    Nah, the Chameleon and Voodu Valve were basically the same. The Chameleon was solid state, the Voodu Valve is basically the same thing with a 12ax7 tube driver. The Piranha is IMO a much better sounding preamp, but still pales in comparison to modern gear. I should know, I bought one a couple years ago out of nostalgia and sold it a few months later when I realized how much other gear had passed it by. Still was killer for the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

i really wanted one of these when they were out, but never got one. Nostalgia means it could be cool, but it'd be more to look at, and then resell, so pointless.

On the other hand, at some point, I'm going to have to find an ada preamp, as have never ever tried one

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Nah, the Chameleon and Voodu Valve were basically the same. The Chameleon was solid state, the Voodu Valve is basically the same thing with a 12ax7 tube driver. The Piranha is IMO a much better sounding preamp, but still pales in comparison to modern gear. I should know, I bought one a couple years ago out of nostalgia and sold it a few months later when I realized how much other gear had passed it by. Still was killer for the time.
    I actually really dug how the Piranha sounded. I just couldn't boost it because it would clip the input if you either cranked the gain too high or boost it with an overdrive. Hard to describe, it just didn't sound great when the distortion got above a certain point.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 05-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I actually really dug how the Piranha sounded. I just couldn't boost it because it would clip the input if you either cranked the gain too high or boost it with an overdrive. Hard to describe, it just didn't sound great when the distortion got above a certain point.
    I think I know what you mean. I have a Bogner Red pedal and if you use it direct into an ir loader, running a boost pedal into it doesn't work very well at all. I will say that it does sound better through speakers but much like your Piranha, the more you turn the gain up, it just starts to sound mushy & overloaded (and not in a good way).

Which is odd because I have a Tech21 GT2, VS Son Of Hyde and a few other distortion pedals that'll take boost pedals like a champ.

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by Spinedriver View Post
    I think I know what you mean. I have a Bogner Red pedal and if you use it direct into an ir loader, running a boost pedal into it doesn't work very well at all. I will say that it does sound better through speakers but much like your Piranha, the more you turn the gain up, it just starts to sound mushy & overloaded (and not in a good way).

Which is odd because I have a Tech21 GT2, VS Son Of Hyde and a few other distortion pedals that'll take boost pedals like a champ.
    I made a clip of it awhile back when I had it. It's kind of like that Boss HM-2 buzzsaw sound when you let chords run on. I was using a custom-made OD which had more aggression and volume on tap, but even the SD-1 and TS-5 I had did the same thing.

Kicks in at :14

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...m9LMmI1cWdGdjA