Has anyone tried the Carvin X1 or Vai Preamp Pedals? Thoughts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone tried the Carvin X1 or Vai Preamp Pedals? Thoughts?

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I agree in terms of other Carvins I tried, but that wasn't my X100b at all. It sounded great, but it maxed out at about Allman Brothers gain levels, when I was looking for a Sabbath-ish sound. I ended up putting a Rat in front of it--which was fine but doesn't suggest anything you'd want in a preamp pedal!
    My X100bs were both the later fuzzy carpet version with the "hot rod" feature. Even before the hot rod feature was engaged, they had more gain than you describe - at least un-modded jcm800 territory in terms of quantity of gain. However, they aren't competing with modern hi-gain amps by any means. I remember back in my college days wishing it was a bit gainier. However, I still like the tone that I got out of that when I listen to the few recordings I have.

I keep thinking I might pick up an x60 1x12 combo - they're uncommon, but often cheap. A Smaller 1x12 combo like that might be nice.

This is the review that intrigued me most about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGQN_oLmaA
    Last edited by Cossack; 05-31-2019 at 04:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

I wish I had never sold my x100b. It was my first tube amp, didn’t know a whole hell of a lot about tone at the time but I did know that it was really tough to pull any really brutal tones out of it.

That clean channel was killer though, and I really want to hear the lead channel again now that it’s almost 15 years later. Oh well

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

The X100B was basically a JCM800, right?
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The X100B was basically a JCM800, right?
    It's higher gain channel is often compared to a JCM800. The x100b could either have 6l6 or el34 tubes, had 2 channels - a very clean channel with a lot of headroom, and the OD channel, which had a "hot rod" function on later versions which added an extra gain stage, as I understand it. It also had a switchable 5-band slider eq like some Boogies have and spring reverb. In terms of features it's a very well-thought-out amp, and many love the tone as well. For under $400 used in a 100w tube head I don't know how one could do much better.