GSP 1101 with an External Preamp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSP 1101 with an External Preamp

ME: RG 7420
    MA: Fylde
    Rig: JSX and XXX Halfstacks

GSP 1101 with an External Preamp

Rather then drop the money on a G Major 2, I thought I'd run my new preamp in the loop of my GSP 1101. It has the C63 firmware. Anybody try anything like this?
    I just want to use the GSP’s FX.
    I've run the GSP in 4 cable with my 6505+, but could never get it to work right. I'm thinking this should be easier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Not to derail your thread, but I too have problems with the "4 cable method"; my Line 6 M13 into my Marshall JVM 410..... is the 4CM method right for everything, or just some things? I YT'd it, for my specific amp etc., followed all instructions faithfully....& mine doesn't work right either. I took my head to my local tech & the loop works fine.Couldn't get a $500 FX unit to work fine thru it tho.......mucho frustrating......

ME: Peavey Vandenberg
    MA: Blue Ridge BR70
    Rig: BIAS

Quote Originally Posted by maggotspawn View Post
    Rather then drop the money on a G Major 2, I thought I'd run my new preamp in the loop of my GSP 1101. It has the C63 firmware. Anybody try anything like this?
    I've run the GSP in 4 cable with my 6505+, but could never get it to work right. I'm thinking this should be easier.

It's been so long since I've had the GSP1101, but I remember there being an option to globally turn off the amp/cab somewhere in the X-Edit software (I'm sure it's possible to do on the GSP unit itself with the knobs and buttons if you don't use the software). Have you tried that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LWKeeping View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maggotspawn View Post

It's been so long since I've had the GSP1101, but I remember there being an option to globally turn off the amp/cab somewhere in the X-Edit software (I'm sure it's possible to do on the GSP unit itself with the knobs and buttons if you don't use the software). Have you tried that?
    Thanks, I haven't tried that yet, still waiting on the preamp to show up. I RTFM, and it seems there is also a setting to turn preamps and cabs on or off depending on the preset.

the gsp1101 is actually intended to work like that

i have 2 setup with e530s as the preamp and then the onboard effects added on top of that

you can set the external pre as a global-pre or have it swappable between patches to use the modeled ones as well. You can even put modeled amps in front (or where ever) of the external pre and use them as boosts or additonal gain staging.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    the gsp1101 is actually intended to work like that

i have 2 setup with e530s as the preamp and then the onboard effects added on top of that

you can set the external pre as a global-pre or have it swappable between patches to use the modeled ones as well. You can even put modeled amps in front (or where ever) of the external pre and use them as boosts or additonal gain staging.
    Good to know. I actually just bought a used G Major 2 for pretty cheap after all. I still may try out the new preamp with the GSP 1101 though..

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

I compared a g major 1 to a gsp1101 a while back in my mark iv. The gsp had some more interesting fx, like tape delay etc, but the g major was more transparent and sounded more 3D compared the flat sounding 1101. I presume the gmaj2 will be the same if not better in that regard. Also it took a while to get the levels right, so the volume with and without the units engaged was at unity. But doing that is key.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Quote Originally Posted by Stitsel View Post
    Not to derail your thread, but I too have problems with the "4 cable method"; my Line 6 M13 into my Marshall JVM 410..... is the 4CM method right for everything, or just some things? I YT'd it, for my specific amp etc., followed all instructions faithfully....& mine doesn't work right either. I took my head to my local tech & the loop works fine.Couldn't get a $500 FX unit to work fine thru it tho.......mucho frustrating......
    Sometimes it might not work properly because there are some fx loops that are parallel as opposed to series. The Randall T2 that I had had a parallel loop, so if you put effects in the loop, you'll get a blend of the dry signal mixed in with it.
    Was that kind of your problem or was it just not working at all ?

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge