Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD Not behind the curve this time.

5K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Lozek 
#1 ·
Bought a Mooer GE300 from the Canadian Distributor, not even available in the US yet:

Lightning keeping the stalkers away. :lol:
20190603_164556 by SR, on Flickr

It's like x-mas...
20190603_164641 by SR, on Flickr

20190603_164735 by SR, on Flickr

20190603_164827 by SR, on Flickr

Nice of them to include the button toppers.
20190603_164858 by SR, on Flickr

20190603_165114 by SR, on Flickr

Lots of I/O.
20190603_165136 by SR, on Flickr

It's so damn small though. :lol:
20190603_173631 by SR, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
First impressions:

Pro: The Tone Capture is really cool. I was able to get eq profiles for my rhythm and lead channels, which sound close enough to not really tell. I used the VHT model(Shittcow :lol:) as a basis, since the Laney is super dry.

Con: The amp switch control is kinda lame. You can't set it to be on or off at load of a patch, so if you want to use the rhythm channel for one, and the lead for another you have to manually switch it. Maybe they'll update this down the road with firmware? For now I plan to run the rhythm channel from my amp as 4cm, and use a tone capture of the lead channel to get around this.

Pro: The Boost pedals in the thing sound fantastic. I put my MXR in a drawer for now.

Con: They put a full 3 band EQ on each boost pedal, which gets annoying when all you really need is a tone.

Pro/Con: There are a lot of amazing sounding metal amp models in this thing. Did it really need models of the 5150III, OG5150, and 6505+? Pick one! The Friedman model is sick, the Randall Satan model is not. I need to learn how to tweak this stuff, I haven't used modelling beyond the Katana in a decade.

Pro/Con: My 3 yr old loves the LED lights and wants to just play with the buttons. :lol:

Effects do the job. I haven't deep dived into anything like the shimmerverb. I'm still working on getting a good Phase90 style effect out of it, but they're easily as good as Boss/Digitech/etc.

The Synth Engine is interesting, but I'd rather have polyphonic pitch change that sounds good instead.

The PC editor is good, I'm hoping for an android version like the Preamp Live, so I can use an old tablet as an interface.

Overall, for $700 this is better than the Headrush in amp models, not as easy to use, and doesn't integrate as well with my amp. On the other hand, when I plug it into the PC it actually works. :lol:

#8 ·
Con: The amp switch control is kinda lame. You can't set it to be on or off at load of a patch, so if you want to use the rhythm channel for one, and the lead for another you have to manually switch it. Maybe they'll update this down the road with firmware? For now I plan to run the rhythm channel from my amp as 4cm, and use a tone capture of the lead channel to get around this.
Are you totally sure about this? I was able to use my MS3 to channel switch when I had both a Mini Rec and a Mark V25, and it would know that my clean patches were channel 1 and my heavy patches were channel 2. You can set this in the MS3 as control 1/2 or control 3/4 and use a TRS cable in the jack. Are you sure it's not available in the Mooer?

Also, it goes without saying...if it doesn't actually moo, it's false advertising.

#6 ·
I'd be reluctant to buy anything mooer where the software side wasn't already where I needed it to be.... having to borrow a PC to update the firmware on my Ocean machine was a pain etc.

This does sound great though and the amp switching seems like a minor oversight that they'll hopefully fix.

#20 ·
Starting to wonder about this unit. I've been considering using a floor modeller to control my Kemper fly rig and add a bit of redundancy in emergencies, I was originally looking at an AX8 but they're still holding price second hand. The price and size of this is what's drawing me.

If the features are there for midi control, midi CC transmission, killer metal amps and IR hosting (given that Cabinets are what makes or breaks a heavy sound), it could be a winner.

Is there any type of pitch shift function in there? I'm using the Kemper to shift a concert pitch guitar down into three other tunings, I could feed this with a shifted clean DI from there but splitting and doing it in-unit would make everything more fail safe.

#21 ·
The polyphonic pitch shifter leaves a bit to desired. It works good as a harmonizer, but there's some bleed through at 100%. Maybe they'll patch it, seems silly that there's all this synth engine stuff, but something guitar related is lacking.

I have started to get some good tones out of the models, especially the Friedman and Engl Powerball ones.

#36 ·
As an aside, I picked up one of those $60 Vangoa Ghostfire pedalboards off Amazon. I'm still using my Korg Pitchblack, because I like it, and it has no resale. :lol: I also strapped my old Donner Modulation pedal on there. Not liking the Flanger in the GE300 for VH type stuff.

It's a good value, comes with 3 patch cables, all the velcro you could want, some zip ties and those little stick on holders, etc. Padded bag and fold down feet.

20190617_173248 by SR, on Flickr

20190617_173318 by SR, on Flickr

A Onespot will power the GE300, btw. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.