NPD: AMT SS-20 Tube Preamp Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NPD: AMT SS-20 Tube Preamp Pedal

ME: Jackson B7 CS
    Rig: ENGL Sovereign 212

NPD: AMT SS-20 Tube Preamp Pedal

Got this little russian thing for cheap. It's a 3-Channel tube preamp with sooo many features packed into an enclosure only slightly bigger than a regular boss pedal. I've been rocking an AMT D2 live for a while and I wanted to try their tube offerings. Here are my findings!

Mandatory pictures:

Quick view of the I/O panel. You can send both the amp/poweramp and line out signals (with included cabsim) straight to mixer at the same time. It also has an FX-Loop.

The rear panel could do with more ventilation for the tube, but it's an older model. newer ones have bigger openings.

Crunch chanel gain boost. It has two different EQ modes.

So how does it sound? Pretty darn good, actually. It's a nifty swiss-army knife. You can track with it with the cabsim out, go direct with a powerap sim + impulses, or plug it into the loop or your amp. I happen to own a vintage Roland Bolt 30W which is a small combo with SS preamp and tube poweramp. The perfect candidate for these little things as I can bypass the preamp and have a fully portable 3-channel tube rig.

- Clean channel is surprisingly good, tweed style.
    - Crunch channel is also great. Better than expected and definetely capable of delivering the blues and softer rock tones.
    - Lead channel has an ENGL style voice. Very tight with punchy low mids and lively highs. It sounds pretty good bumping the mids as well. It has absurd amounts of gain on tap. With gain on 7 onwards an extra JFET stage activates so it's no longer just the tube adding filth. I don't think I'd ever need to go that high, anyway.

Despite internet complaints about the lack of a separate volume knob for the Lead and Crunch channel, I don't really think is that big of an issue unless you want to run the crunch gain really low. The best way to set up the pedal is set the EQ for the lead channel and then play with the CR Gain switch to further tailor the gain and EQ of the crunch channel.

Mine seems like an older model. It's got an EHX tube on it. Might swap it for a JJ to warm it up a bit. Newer ones might ship with one of those AMT solid state tubes. Dunno if they're easily swappable (I know they are on their SS1 models).

Definetely recommended if you can snag one for cheap

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Squier Deluxe Active Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk3 Blu/Torpedo Live

If it's as good as the SS30, I bet it's fucking killer.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I've been thinking about getting one of these as a rig-backup!

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    If it's as good as the SS30, I bet it's fucking killer.
    Never tried the SS-30, but it is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I've been thinking about getting one of these as a rig-backup!
    It's the perfect backup rig solution indeed. The pedal is like 5 inches long. The cabsim is a bit dark but it it's definetely useable.

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

I believe the whole point of those AMT solid state "tubes" is they're a direct swap for an actual tube
    I'm so metal I shit bats

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I believe the whole point of those AMT solid state "tubes" is they're a direct swap for an actual tube
    Not quite. I haven't opened the SS-20 but I know the SS-11 has two jumpers that have to be changed as well as the tube or it won't work.

Anyway they are 40€ a pop so I don't think they sell much of those. Thinking about it, shipping the pedals with them as stock wouldn't make much sense from a business standpoint. The manual says something along the lines of "ships with 12ax7 or Warmstone tubes), so who knows.
    Last edited by Emperoff; 06-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

The AMT pedals are some of the best out there. I had a P2 for a long time that I used on my board and recording, and it sounded amazing. I actually have an R2 on order right now, and I know they just came out with new versions of their pedals with a 12ax7 in the pedals:
    https://amt-sales.com/preamps/bricks-preamps/

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    The AMT pedals are some of the best out there. I had a P2 for a long time that I used on my board and recording, and it sounded amazing. I actually have an R2 on order right now, and I know they just came out with new versions of their pedals with a 12ax7 in the pedals:
    https://amt-sales.com/preamps/bricks-preamps/
    Have you tried it into something like Torpedo Wall of Sound, something that has power amp and IR’s?