Do you care at all what gear others use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you care at all what gear others use?

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

It makes no difference on my opinion of someone but I'm always interested in seeing what people are using.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

If they have a sound I like... hell yes I care! The main reason I use 5150III 50watt amps is because Buckethead used the 6L6 version live.
    I'm never going to be a big rock star that everyone tone-chases or says "he sounds to much like so-in-so", so why not?

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by drache713 View Post
    So most of the music and bands I’m into use the very stereotypical 5150 into a V30 cab with a tubescreamer (and for the bands I listen to usually EMG’s). Now I could just get the exact same gear myself if I’m going for the same vibe/style and call it a day. Or I could experiment with other options to find something I like either through trial and error or just try stuff out, and not care at all about what others use.

When you’re looking at gear do you let what others use (influences, peers, trends, etc) influence/guide you on what to get, or do you just find what you like regardless of whether it’s something the majority uses? Do you use the baseline as a “template” and tweak/customize from there?
    They're all just tools, find the one that works for you, that speaks to you, and run with it. For me, for a long time, it's always been the big Mesa sounds that work for me, but I could be happy playing other amps too. It's whatever works for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

This is a Hobby for me with no other pretensions. Sure I look at the guys I like use and if I like it (this is the most important part) I´ll try to get it within my own limits on spendings.

If I dont like I dont loose sleep on it. For example I LOVE Andy Timmons, but cant stand visually any of his guitars, and the Necks are too baseball bat for me. I have bought his same Pickup Config 2 years ago and didn't fit in to me, so I sold them last year after being on the parts Drawer for some months. But I buy Guitars that I like and if they are from guys I grow up listening even better, sure its the cheap version but I got an Adrian Smith SDX, its the most dark sounding guitar I have, the Super Distortion sounded even worse there than the default pickup. If I was a "true to the bones" fan i would had just let the SDistortion in there but I couldn't... so now it has a Black Winter and it screams!!!

I'm right now into the EVH Strat guitars, and have been lurking around to get another one (The Bumblebee) but so far I managed to control myself. Also have recently bought a Strat (my first) to mimic the Black Gilmour one, but I would never buy the "oficial" Fender one.

Luckily I dont have the space for Valve Heads and Cabs, Wife and Wallet appreciate that or else I would most certain had a couple of Heads, even if they were just the Lunch box ones.

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    I tend to have a sound I want, not super interested in mimicking bands/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    It makes no difference on my opinion of someone but I'm always interested in seeing what people are using.
    This sums mine up too. I know what I want and don't care if anyone else likes it or not - and don't want to sound like others at all. But, it's cool to know who uses what to get certain tones I dig. In the end, it's just equipment and the artist shines through regardless if it's crappy old Crate amps or state of the art solid state stuff.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Gibson V
    MA: Eastman
    Rig: Mesa Roadster

I take it into minor consideration. It's usually a starting point for research, and the research usually uncovers that the studio was other stuff in place of or in addition to, and touring rigs using gear a couple years newer and a few thousand dollars more elaborate... or this or that. The info chase has become an overwhelming and winless distraction to just picking up my drum or guitars and being a productive musician.

ME: Gibson V
    MA: Eastman
    Rig: Mesa Roadster

All that said, I'm usually more interested in touring set-ups... esp guitar heads, drum heads and cymbals, and drum tunings and muffling approaches

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Fractal / Kemper / 5150

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    They're all just tools, find the one that works for you, that speaks to you, and run with it.
    This.

I've really only had a few setups in the last 20 years. A 2101, then a Fractal, then a couple of mesas, and now a Fractal and a 5150. When I want to record, fiddle around or play at low volume, I use the Fractal. When I just want to plug in and rip, I use the 5150.