Wireless in-ear monitors ... school me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless in-ear monitors ... school me

Wireless in-ear monitors ... school me

getting to a point with one of my projects where we're looking at investing in some in-ear monitors for the band (3 piece).

I know that Shure and other big names are kinda the go to, but has anyone tried any budget options that give bang for the buck?

quick amazon search shows a ton of things like this at very doable price points:

~400$ cdn and would leave us with one backup monitor.

Never really went down this path other than basic research about them and didn't want to justify the price of the industry "go-to's" before but the times they are a-changing.

So get the good stuff (i.e. expensive), try the cheap ones and potentially have to buy again (buy nice or buy twice etc).?

What should i really be looking for here for feature sets, options, usability etc, while still balancing the budget? Dump your collective knowledge all over me.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

I have bought a set of LD Systems MEI 1000 for my band and they work.
    The sound is "OK" I guess, but I don't care too much because I'm busy ROCKING THE FUCK OUT when I'm stage!!!

They have a bit of hiss, but funny enough, they are way noisier if you plug your headphones STRAIGHT with cable... That's fucking weird.

But yeah, I can recommend them for a cheapo setup.

Are you gonna have your own mixer or rely on soundtechs in the venues?

This is my bands setup:

We have two LD Systems MEI 1000

One dedicated for the singer, and one for both guitarists and bass player in a shared mix. That works well!
    The drummer gets a lined IEM.

I have a couple of more LD System units, but I decided that this is enough for now.

If you're playing a festival you might have to swap around a lot between frequencies to not get issues with the festival staffs walkie talkie frequinces...
    I got that shit into my IEMs when I played in Germany last year, so I had to look around for free frequencies.

Thats also why I dont wanna have tons of different mixes for each memeber.

BUT SINCE YOUR BAND IS A THREE PIECE BAND: You can go with this setup PERFECTLY fine!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

If I was a millionaire I wouldn't hesitate to get the standard industry units like the Sennheisers or something like that.
    Expensive for a regular person, but probably worth it if you got the money, and play often enough to justify the investment, of course.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom

I would honestly say spend the money and get decent units. The Sennheiser stuff is all modular so you can watch Ebay and grab stuff as it comes up (obviously make sure the frequencies all match and are legal in your area). If you're going to rely on IEM, can you really afford for it to cut out in the middle of your set?

Would sennheiser be the way to go then out of the bigger name brands?

I would say yes!!!!

Off to do some window shopping then. Any key features to look for or options that are must have?