Gain Stacking Boosts - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gain Stacking Boosts

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

I've thought about experimenting a bit with this sort of thing...

I have a Muff OP/AMP on my board that I like very much. I'd thought about running the Blues Driver ahead of it. This thread just reminded me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

I tend to find that this works best when you run a tone-shaping overdrive (e.g. TS, SD-1, Rat, treble booster, fuzz etc.) into a full range "amp-like" overdrive (e.g. Blues Driver, OCD, Klon, or Amp-In-A-Box types like Box of Rock or Dirty Little Secret).

The effect is as you described: you shape the input gain and EQ shape coming to your "primary" drive (the full range style) with the "secondary" drive (the tone-shaper type). That means whatever signature characteristics the primary drive has will be either accentuated, mitigated, or in some way altered.

A simple but illustrative example is TS808-->AIAB type pedal. It pretty much has the exact same effect as hitting a Marshall (etc) with a TS in front - reduces input bass frequencies which allows more crunch from the preamp and a more compressed sound. Tone shaping and midrange grit to taste with the fiddly knobs.

You'll see this basic formula repeated in a lot of side-by-side overdrive pedals. There's usually a dirty tone-shaping side and a fat big-boost side, and you typically can run them separately or together. They're voiced in such a manner that you get the above mentioned effect easily when desired.

The only major exception to this basic formula in my experience is just slamming any overdrive pedal you want with a clean boost in front of it (like TC Electronic Spark), which just makes your primary drive "MOAR LOUD." That pretty much always sounds awesome.

ME: Authentic Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    I've thought about experimenting a bit with this sort of thing...

I have a Muff OP/AMP on my board that I like very much. I'd thought about running the Blues Driver ahead of it. This thread just reminded me.
    Try setting the Blues Driver up for low gain, neutral tone, and a level to create a noticeable loudness boost and compression when it's kicked in. Like a "pushed" clean.
    Then hit it with the Muff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Gary Hold used to do this with a DOD 250 and, I think, a Boss DS-1. With both of them jacked. Into a Marshall.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Been meaning to try a Metal Zone as a boost...
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Sometimes when my EHX SoulFood (Klone) is on, I'll click on the Death By Audio Interstellar Overdriver (fuzzy boost) in front of it. The result is nothing short of a noisy mess, but for some leads here and there it's so cool

Basically, the opposite of what Soop is suggesting, I think

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Gary Hold used to do this with a DOD 250 and, I think, a Boss DS-1. With both of them jacked. Into a Marshall.
    I read somewhere that Criss Oliva daisy chained DS-1s?
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    Try setting the Blues Driver up for low gain, neutral tone, and a level to create a noticeable loudness boost and compression when it's kicked in. Like a "pushed" clean.
    Then hit it with the Muff.
    I shall try that. Thank you.