Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NAD: Sweetwater visit haul

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kagami 
#1 ·
So I decided to visit the sweetwater store as I had nothing to do and was not THAT far away (3hrs) and I walked out with a 5150 III 50watt head! Ive owned a full size 5150 and still own a 6505mh but man, this is a beast in its own right. For starters, the clean on this is actually pretty decent. As for the lead channel, ill be god damned that you dont even need a boost pedal. I have the gain at 3 and its more than enough. Surprised how decent it is at low volumes as well. As for the blue channel, this is where its a little lacking. Unlike its 6l6 brother, Fender/EVH did something here and made the blue channel sound sort of....crappy. Its fairly muddy and muffled. I do hear there is a fix/mod for this though (a simple clipping of some sort of diode on the pcb). Im not sure if I am going to do this since its brand new and still under warranty. It does sound pretty decent when boosting it though. If anybody wants sound samples, let me know and Ill see what I can do.

I also picked up a TC Hall of Fame Reverb 2 as this amp does not have reverb (as my others do) and just wanted a decent basic reverb pedal.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats, I have heard those are sweet amps.

The blue channel on the LBX is great and boosted it is a lil killer, I wonder what they did different with those?

Also, they love a MXR 10 band, it is sick. You like it without one, try that EQ in the loop... holy shit.. it is crazy good.

#4 ·
Congrats, I have heard those are sweet amps.

The blue channel on the LBX is great and boosted it is a lil killer, I wonder what they did different with those?

Also, they love a MXR 10 band, it is sick. You like it without one, try that EQ in the loop... holy shit.. it is crazy good.
Actually, if you look in my pic, I have one in the loop :). Ill deff try your settings out tomorrow!

#6 ·
I've heard nothing but good things about the EL34 5150 IIIs. I'm sure the lead channel is heinously jacked, a lot of new amps are coming like that it seems. As for making the drive, I hear you. 3 hours one way is a bit much, but if you've got the time and the energy, and you have a big gear store like that, it makes sense. The only way I can relate is that I'm 5 hours from the Ed Roman store, but we all know what that place can be like!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.