Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Ramon Goose: Why I stopped using Effects Pedals

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Rocka_Rollas 
#1 ·

This is going to sound rich coming from me and my 100+ fleet, but I do agree with the vid. It should be obvious to focus on playing well first and foremost.

#5 ·
YMMV.

I love effects because, for me, I can plug something in or scroll through some presets and pull an entire song out of my ass just because the effect inspired me to do so. The last several tunes I wrote came about exactly that way and it gets me away from just coming up with a riff or chord progression to build off. I love dotted 8th note delays and taking that as an example, think of almost any U2 song or anytime Gilmour has used it, "Run Like Hell", "Another Brick In The Wall PT 1", etc, there's no way those songs would be those songs if it weren't for that delay pattern. (And I increase my chances of Drew digging my tunes if I use delay to create a rhythm)

I got a Line 6 M5 a couple years ago because I had a gift card for Sweetwater and didn't know what else to get, I wanted it just for the reverse delay preset. Still haven't done anything with that preset, but man...some of the filter/synth effects get me going for hours just fucking off, which playing a guitar straight into an amp will not do for me anymore. I go through periods where I'm completely jaded to dry guitar sounds, chugga chugga rhythms or single-note patterns. I know if I find some cool effect, I can come up with something I haven't heard before.

I never understood why people claim others are hiding behind effects, like the Korn guys. You take away their pedalboards and they straight up won't even be the same songs. A lot of A Perfect Circle stuff is the same, (LOVE Howerdel's use of effects) they just won't have the same effect (highly intended pun) without the effects.

But more power to anyone who finds a way to be more creative without them. For me, I'm just bored by the standard clean or distorted guitar sounds.

#8 ·
In all honesty, I didn't even click. I couldn't stop laughing at the name "Ramon Goose". This guy could have the most cogent argument in the world, but coming from a guy named Ramon Goose I just can't take it seriously.

That sounds like something from a late '70s D List Japanese quasi-remake of something like Deathrace 2000.

It's like, all those great foreign movies made by people who don't speak english natively, so they try to come up with badass names for their characters to emulate OG badass character names and they end up being hilarious. Ramon Goose was a role taken by Bruce Lee before he hit it big, and he is just this ex cop who doesn't play by the rules who wears denim bellbottoms and always has a toothpick tucked in the corner of his mouth.

I mean, I'm not going to take Ramon Goose's opinion about pedals seriously, but would I watch a cinematic feast for the senses in which he takes down an international crime syndicate? Absolutely.

I would also buy a pedal called "Ramon Goose" it would probably be like, an envelope filter auto-wah type thing with a gnarly unique feedback circuit that generates lush higher order harmonics.

#9 ·
I mean, sure? If the pedal rabbit hole is stopping you progressing as a guitar player then maybe the problem isn't with your pedals?

I barely use any effects, but the type of music I make isn't condusive to lots of textures really. It's quite straight forward high gain tones. But a band like Karnivool use their guitars for every sound imaginable, including moog/synth type stuff. And they're good at it. That's a skill unto itself really, and I sometimes think it's a shame that I don't like/make the kind of music that can incorporate those kinds of sounds, as it means I don't get to experiment with much stuff :lol:

#13 ·
This is going to sound rich coming from me and my 100+ fleet, but I do agree with the vid. It should be obvious to focus on playing well first and foremost.
Sounds like a clickbait-y headline/article, but thenn again I'm the resident technological luddite who doesn't want anything more than amp distortion and a light delay anyway. :shrug:

#16 ·
The nature of the title is indeed clickbait-y, but I did mention on the recent Rick Beato thread that it's the sword of Damocles that hangs over every youtuber nowadays. So Ramon's vid being off putting is on him. I'm assuming about only 1 person here watched that vid, and the thread replies are purely a response to the title. But it is interesting that a lot of the responses are more or less in agreement with the vid anyway.

#14 ·
This whole "effects are stupid, focus on your playing instead" thing is STUPID AS SHIT

Imagine this album without chorus and delay. It would suck ass! The extra effects is what creates the whole 80s futuristic sci-fi atmosphere of the album!

They had very dry guitars on Powerslave before; and guess what... That worked fucking good too.

It's all SITUATIONAL.

You dont put BB King through a maxed out Dual Rectifier with Octaver and flanger

And you don't record Somewhere In Time on a dry AC30!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.