NRD: Small but surprisingly loud
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRD: Small but surprisingly loud

NRD: Small but surprisingly loud

Some time ago I bought an HD500 to use as a recording rig, but after playing around with it and going through all the different amps/cabs/pedals/mics, I knew it was way deeper than I ever gave a shit about and just slowed me down. I let the HD500 collect dust while I bought a small combo amp (Crush 12) I could use but then tragically, one day, that combo amp just said "fuck this guy, I'm not going to make any sound for him anymore," and I became ampless ...again. Now, after a long period of not having an amp, I decided I wanted to see what was out there in the lunchbox range that I could either turn into a rig with a separate cab, or use as just a head with a headphone out; and then I came up on the Orange micro series - 20 watts, solid state power section with a single tube to drive the gain side of the things, and it had a headphone jack (on the Dark, not the regular Terror), all while being dirt cheap.

I know most people shit on Orange, because they are very polarizing - you either like them or don't - but for doom/stoner/sludge stuff, they really are the bread and butter, and this one is no different. No excess amount of controls, just a volume, shape knob, and gain knob, and go to town. Then after sitting on it for a bit with just the head, I figured it needed a cab to go with it, so I splurged for that as well. Knowing that V30's on their own are kind of meh, I figured I'd look around to see what other options are out there, and dug what I heard for the cabs that are using the Celestion 70/80.

So small it fits on top of my new monitor's box!

Shoutout to Marshall for also making the least inconspicuous box out there, great work team.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

56k warning!
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    56k warning!
    I have no clue how my phone takes such large photos

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Ola Englund did a "Will it Chug" for this one a few days ago and it sounds pretty respectable for the size.

ME: Dean MLX
    Rig: Blackstar ID TVP 150

Quote Originally Posted by Spinedriver View Post
    Ola Englund did a "Will it Chug" for this one a few days ago and it sounds pretty respectable for the size.
    just watched that and now I want one lol. only thing i don't like is no 3 band eq. guess i could put my 10 band into the loop though.

Grats on the sweet little rig!

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Quote Originally Posted by Spinedriver View Post
    It really comes to life when he tacks on the OD:

Question: is the "Shape" essentially the same thing as Blackstar's ISF knob? Just basically a mid-sweeper?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Question: is the "Shape" essentially the same thing as Blackstar's ISF knob? Just basically a mid-sweeper?
    Seems to be, I have it set to 12 o'clock where the tone sounds the most "full", like how you'd run a 5150 at 6/6/6. If you run it past that, it goes between "scooped and thrashy" to "pissed off kazoo."

The video that sold me on it was this guy's, and every amp comparison should be done in a similar fashion. Not the most fun, but it lays out the differences between them clear as day.

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

Had a guy in a touring band whose name I've forgotten use his Dark Terror into my Mesa 4x12 and he sounded AMAZING. I've never associated Orange with tight, grindy, and thrashy but he was somehow pulling it off. My interest in those amps has been piqued since then.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate