NGD x 2: Weekend Boss Haul

Thread: NGD x 2: Weekend Boss Haul

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

NGD x 2: Weekend Boss Haul

Another year, another Melbourne Guitar Show, another excuse to empty my funds. Actually, I wasn't as extravagant as last year (though that's coming later). So I stuck around the Roland/Boss booth and walked away with 2 things.

First the Boss Katana mini. I needed a better small practice amp than my Vox Satch Amp Plug. I was about to pull the trigger on the Katana Air instead, but was beaten out at the last possible minute. But since this was 4 times cheaper and available, I grabbed it. Surprisingly loud and suits its purpose. Crappy clip of the Katana in action.

And since I hung around the Boss booth and everything was at a great price...

It was either this, a Waza Blues Driver or an Angry Driver. This was the one I was most curious of so here we are. More of an alternative to all the Darkglass sounds that seem to creep up on every bass recording I've been part of the last 2 years. Truth to be told, due to yet another case of busy schedule, I haven't even tried this yet.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Loving the Mini Katana. Probably the best gear purchase I've made in the last two years. The fact it's so small and battery powered and does three modes rather convincingly AND a build in delay is bonkers.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Loving the Mini Katana. Probably the best gear purchase I've made in the last two years. The fact it's so small and battery powered and does three modes rather convincingly AND a build in delay is bonkers.
    Yeah, frankly I'm shocked in awe with all the tones you can get away with on this tiny box. The Air would have been cool with the extra features and gimmicks but this does more than enough. I can have this on the couch or bring it along anywhere.

I'll try to sneak in some time with the Bass Driver hopefully before the weekend.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Finally got the chance to play the Bass Driver.

I hear it's considered the evolution of the Boss ODB3, but it's the simplest form of the preamp drive box from the Sansamp/MXR/Darkglass DI family. So simple that it doesn't have an XLR line out, which is fine but I found odd considering they fit an XLR jack on a Boss Vocoder of all things. There's always getting a converter. The Boss enclosure also narrows down the EQ options to a dual level/blend knob, low, high and drive controls. Still it's a simple bass OD/preamp in a tried and true Boss enclosure.

Sound wise it's a punchy beast. Funny enough the high knob affects the drive when cranked as much as the drive knob does so there's a few cool tonal options. I liked it at the more simple cleaner settings that it works really well as a booster for slapping/tapping while still maintaining low end. Slowly increasing the dirt gets you to Faith No More aggression (I couldn't stop playing the classic Real Thing/Angel Dust bass lines for most of the time this was plugged in). At more extreme settings does get synthetic if you're not careful (the aforementioned High and Drive settings) unless you want that kind of sawtooth sound, but it can produce a cool fuzz sound, not shy off my Darkglass Duality. I've also tried to dial the "Simple Boy" tone, which this can do pretty well enough.

So overall, a nice simple alternative to the more pricey bass drivers out there. It's not a full monster like the Darkglass stuff but take the time of incorporating this in your rig and you can cover a lot of ground.