Axe FX Standard? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axe FX Standard?

ME: Swampcaster
    MA: Fender Sonoran
    MB: Squier Active Jazz 5
    Rig: Rectoverb 50

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A standard for your rectoverb would be a terrible trade.

The II when fully updated has an early version of the IIIs firmware so would be a far better deal. I wouldn't go for anything less than II. You can always get one of the cheap pedal power amps asics stop gap while you save for something better.
    You really think the Rectoverb 50 is worth $1200~?! It's the older one, literally a single recto with a reverb tank. The Standard and Ultras both seem to go for $800ish on the low side and that's about what i've seen 2000 era Rectoverb 50s and Single Rectos go for. Not to mention there isn't a huge market around here, so I don't know if I would even be able to get $800 out of it. With the road case I could definitely get $1100ish but that's about it.

RHLC East Coast President

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

I'm more thinking that a tube amp is timeless and the standard is dead technology and not even recently deceased it's been in the ground for a while!

I say that as an owner of an afx2 who sold my Mesa mkv to buy the 2 and guess what? Not only did I buy my amp back later down the line I bought the exact one I had sold the guy to get the 2.

If I were you I'd look for a used helix and just do some saving and keep both

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Axe 2 minimum I'd say, it has USB connectivity. Even then, I use my amps way more than the axe 2, which pretty much just gets used for quick jamming, or recording bass. Tube amp I find just easier to use, easier to dial in, easier to tweak. Mainly ebcause I don't have the time to spend tweaking the axe to get the sound I want, just a lot of hassle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

On a side note, any chance you wouldn't mind sending me a link to the page where they were converting axe iii IRs into standard format? I've had a look and found nothing, and decent IRs in standard format are like rocking horse shit these days.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Swampcaster
    MA: Fender Sonoran
    MB: Squier Active Jazz 5
    Rig: Rectoverb 50

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    On a side note, any chance you wouldn't mind sending me a link to the page where they were converting axe iii IRs into standard format? I've had a look and found nothing, and decent IRs in standard format are like rocking horse shit these days.
    I was mistaken, it's AxeFX II IR's but still useful.
    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...d-ultra.90795/

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Thanks for the link, I'll give that a try later

ME: Caparison/Parker
    Rig: Sweet FA

I moved to an Axe Ultra shortly after Adam bought his Standard, TBH only because I got a blinding deal on the Ultra. For any practical terms there wasn't anything I used in the Ultra that wasn't in the Standard. It is old tech, but it can still sound awesome. My biggest bugbear with it was the need for a USB-MIDI interface to program it via the PC, but that's not the end of the world. I have a recollection of there being a bit of software that converts IR's to the format used, but it's been a while since I did any IR loading, so I may be wrong.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm more thinking that a tube amp is timeless and the standard is dead technology and not even recently deceased it's been in the ground for a while!

I say that as an owner of an afx2 who sold my Mesa mkv to buy the 2 and guess what? Not only did I buy my amp back later down the line I bought the exact one I had sold the guy to get the 2.

If I were you I'd look for a used helix and just do some saving and keep both
    This, pretty much. I have no doubt you can get some great sounds out of a Standard, but I think the Rectoverb is going to hold value a lot better than a Standard will, a decade down the line.

Is there anything your Rectoverb isn't doing that you think the Standard would?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace