Axe FX Standard?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axe FX Standard?

ME: Swampcaster
    MA: Fender Sonoran
    MB: Squier Active Jazz 5
    Rig: Rectoverb 50

Axe FX Standard?

I have the possibility to trade my Rectoverb 50 for an Axe standard, power amp, and rack case and i'm seriously tempted in doing so. I've been thinking about going to a digital rig for a while now, to make live setups so much easier and when we spring for an in ear setup, it will make that much easier and consistent as well. I like that i'm somewhat limited on options with the standard because I feel like if I went with an ultra or the axe II or something I would spend most of my time tweaking/changing and never really commit to anything because it's just too many options. I know with the standard I don't get as many of the effects, which is cool. I am still able to load custom IR's without any other gear, right? Also, is there a decent source to find Axe standard patches?

RHLC East Coast President

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

The AxeFX Standard is almost as complicated as the AFX2. I know because I've owned both. Recorded seven albums with the Standard, two with the II and am working on redos of some of my really old metal stuff at the moment with the II (though I'm gradually moving towards reamping with plug-ins rather than the Axe).

If anything, you'd have to do more tweaking with the Standard to get it where you want. The people who got the great sounds out of the Standard (not me) spent a LOT of time working with it toward that end. Lots of weird little hacks in the settings to get around the limitations in the modeling. A fully updated II is much closer to being 'plug and play' with the amp modeling. The effects are great in both units, so no worries there.

Now that the III has been out awhile, you should be able to get a II fairly cheap, and a Standard really cheap. Unless you're talking a really great power amp, that trade doesn't strike me as particularly good.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

The standard let's you load only up to 10 custom IRs, but they have to be in fractals proprietary format, which is pretty difficult to come by these days.

I went with a standard almost 2 years ago and haven't used my mark iv since.

The standard is still pretty good by today's standards, but i think the helix has better amp modelling now, and the stomp is very cheap.

Also I've been told the atomic amplifire has better modelling too but can't confirm that.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    The AxeFX Standard is almost as complicated as the AFX2. I know because I've owned both. Recorded seven albums with the Standard, two with the II and am working on redos of some of my really old metal stuff at the moment with the II (though I'm gradually moving towards reamping with plug-ins rather than the Axe).

If anything, you'd have to do more tweaking with the Standard to get it where you want. The people who got the great sounds out of the Standard (not me) spent a LOT of time working with it toward that end. Lots of weird little hacks in the settings to get around the limitations in the modeling. A fully updated II is much closer to being 'plug and play' with the amp modeling. The effects are great in both units, so no worries there.

Now that the III has been out awhile, you should be able to get a II fairly cheap, and a Standard really cheap. Unless you're talking a really great power amp, that trade doesn't strike me as particularly good.
    Problem is, I don't think I would be able to outright trade my Mesa and roadcase for an Axe II and Power amp. I don't have a whole lot of cash to throw at gear right now and found a guy looking to trade a Standard and poweramp in a road case. 10 IR slots is more than enough for me as I tend to use the same few IR's when recording demos. I found on the fractal forum there was a guy converting Axe 3 IR's to work with the Standard and Ultra. I understand that the stock IR's in the Standard are the weakest link. I don't necessarily mind tweaking to find the sound that I want or learning about weird hacks to get where I want, just I know if I am given limitless possibilities in a box, i'll end up never committing to anything so maybe the standard is best since it's more limited on options than the others? The other thing is there is no way in hell i'm shipping a big rack/amp road case and local deals are not too easy to come by for what i'm wanting.

*edit* I'm kinda against going to one of the pedal units because I know that i'm Not going to be able to go DI to FOH at a lot of shows. We play a bunch of shows where we're only able to mic the vocals and if I have to run a power amp for a lot of shows it just makes sense to have a rack unit and a controller. Seems like less cables to setup since the rack would be ready and i'd just need to plug in one cable to whatever midi controller i'm using.

*edit 2* You know what, I think i'm over thinking it and really, one cable from an Ax8 or something to a poweramp isn't all that bad. I don't know why I was thinking it would need more but it really wouldn't. Still though, it looks like if I sell the Mesa/Case I would have just enough for either the Ax8 or as a stretch the Kemper Stage (which sounds fucking incredible!).

ME: Suhr Modern
    Rig: Axe-Fx II / 5150

I got some fantastic tones out of my old Standard. They still sound awesome IMO.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Speaking of pedal platforms I'm actually thinking of retiring the axe fx standard to my home studio, and put a hx stomp or aa3 in my rack with poweramp for a lightweight 3u rig.

Put in a sliding shelf and what's the difference?

Get an fcb1010 to control

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Speaking of pedal platforms I'm actually thinking of retiring the axe fx standard to my home studio, and put a hx stomp or aa3 in my rack with poweramp for a lightweight 3u rig.

Put in a sliding shelf and what's the difference?

Get an fcb1010 to control
    This is a good point. Though, from what i've read the processor and such in the Axe II runs circles around the Ax8, the side by side comparisons I found were identical. Seems like the Axe II and the Ax8 both go for around $1200 used so I think I would still end up getting the Axe II when choosing between the two and I think that's what i'm leaning towards at this point. Some of my favorite guitar tones were created on the Axe II, and it's more than i'll ever need so I think it would do me well for a long time. The Kemper Stage really temps me but I think I would be happier with the Axe.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

A standard for your rectoverb would be a terrible trade.

The II when fully updated has an early version of the IIIs firmware so would be a far better deal. I wouldn't go for anything less than II. You can always get one of the cheap pedal power amps asics stop gap while you save for something better.