Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit?

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Agreed, I have an afx ii my friend has a helix rack, they are both great, if you want the 'in the room' feel youl need a power amp though but there are relatively inexpensive ones already mentioned

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: VHT UL /AxeFX2 /Mesa RK2

Axe2 is great, some good patches to just grab. I actually haven't dialed in a single patch I don't think. I tried a kemper, and just didn't gel with it. Also, a very important point, I believe the kemper either doesn't have software for PC or it sucks ass. The axe2 software on desktop is great.

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Also, a very important point, I believe the kemper either doesn't have software for PC or it sucks ass. The axe2 software on desktop is great.
    There is a user created editor ( I never tried it). Kemper was supposed to release an editor this summer. I have no idea if its out yet. I only use my Kemper to record DIs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Thanks for all the replies, great info!

Quote Originally Posted by ChainOfThought View Post
    I think my axefx2 with a matrix power amp sounds and feels just like any tube rig I’ve played or owned. Once in a while I set up a mkIV preset to try and match my other guitarists rig, but I play through a Vader 2x12 where he uses a 1960 x-patterned, so the comparison is frivolous.

Sometimes I gas for tube heads, but not because my rig is lacking, just because I think it would be fun to have a head or two knocking around and go back to a ‘real’ rig.
    Odds of me ever gigging again are somewhere between "slim" and "fugedaboutit" so, I'm really after something that sounds good in a recording environment. Although I do occasionally fire up my 412 and annoy the neighbors. There's been a lot of talk about doing an IronChrist reunion show, but that's me singing, not playing guitar and honestly, I don't see it ever happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post
    I got the unpowered rack version. Realistically, it'll spend the vast majority of it's time in my studio, but should the opportunity arise I can rack it with either my 9200 or my Simul-Class 2:90, grab a 4x12 and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Überschall View Post
    Kemper all the way. I've replaced my Uberschall with the Kemper for live gigs. I got the powered toaster.
    Does that mean you're changing your screen name too?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    I find that these days you can get very good/lifelike tones from a bunch of modellers, even my lowly 11rack can get great results with tweaking, but you will also need a power amp , so thats at least two things right there. I have both, a little tube rig and a stereo modeller rig and can dial them in to sound almost identical or choose to have something totally different. So I say if you can hold the GAS and set up both its worth it.

Also, check out Olas laptop rig with the Fortin plug-in, that is a easy way to have a sick portable rig you can go direct with.
    I figured as much, but there are always those guys (like Ola) that can get a great tone from a Sears Univox and a Hondo strat with stock pickups. I'm so not that guy. I love some of the tones I hear with the Axe stuff and one of my buddies ditched his rig and went all-in with a Helix and gets very similar tones now, which I can't seem to emulate with the HD500x - although K.I.R. can seem too:

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    Helix user here. You can absolutely do what you want to do with this. Not STRICTLY one unit, as you'd need a poweramp, but if you grab a rack unit, then grab a Matrix GT1000FX to go with it. Floor unit? Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 or 700. Using it for home use only? Something like an EH Magnum 44 pedal sized poweramp of the new Orange ones.
    Which Helix do you use? I've heard good things about the stripped down one, but do you need to go all in on the big boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed, I have an afx ii my friend has a helix rack, they are both great, if you want the 'in the room' feel youl need a power amp though but there are relatively inexpensive ones already mentioned
    A power amp isn't necessary for direct recording, but is for running a 412, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
    Axe2 is great, some good patches to just grab. I actually haven't dialed in a single patch I don't think. I tried a kemper, and just didn't gel with it. Also, a very important point, I believe the kemper either doesn't have software for PC or it sucks ass. The axe2 software on desktop is great.
    That is a good point, whatever I grab needs to have a good MacBook capable app so I can tone fiddle with it instead of the tiny screen on the unit cause #oldmaneyes
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, great info!

Odds of me ever gigging again are somewhere between "slim" and "fugedaboutit" so, I'm really after something that sounds good in a recording environment. Although I do occasionally fire up my 412 and annoy the neighbors. There's been a lot of talk about doing an IronChrist reunion show, but that's me singing, not playing guitar and honestly, I don't see it ever happening
    Gotcha, In that case the axe2 would absolutely shine. I run one output direct to the interface and one out to my cab, other guitarist runs the slave out from his mkIV into the interface and we put impulses on that in the daw. IMHO the axe sounds better out of the two, but it’s also not the best way to record a mkIV so not exactly fair. Either way though, for recording, the axe is pretty much perfect.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I figured as much, but there are always those guys (like Ola) that can get a great tone from a Sears Univox and a Hondo strat with stock pickups. I'm so not that guy. I love some of the tones I hear with the Axe stuff and one of my buddies ditched his rig and went all-in with a Helix and gets very similar tones now, which I can't seem to emulate with the HD500x - although K.I.R. can seem too:
    I hear ya lol sometimes I drive myself crazy trying to settle on a sound. When I first got the LBX I think I drove my friend crazy tweaking it before I figured out that MXR 10 band setting. That video sounds great, maybe play around some more with that rack a bit. Some 8" studio monitors are relativley inexpensive ($300 or so) and may be all you really need, keep the amp for the occasional jam. Also, some good headphones can be great too and you dont bother others with loud headphones and stuff in stereo sounds awesome.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

I've gone through a ton of modelers over the years, searching for "my sound". My sound was the sound I dialed in on my Randall LynchBox with a Mr. Scary module. I tried to dial in the included settings on whichever modeler I had, and I got somewhat close, but never got that sound that my amp gave me. Over a year ago, I bought a Kemper, and immediately noticed that it acted like an amp. It didn't sound like my amp, since there were no profiles of my amp.

Over the course of a few months, I ventured into trying to profile my amp. I could not believe how easy it was. The "hardest part" was micing the amp to the exact sound that I was looking for. After that, it's a simple case of pressing one button, and sitting back for about a minute while to Kemper sends sounds into the amp/cabinet and receives the sounds coming from the mic(s). When it's done, it plays it's interpretation of the amp that was profiled. In most cases, it dead on. In some cases, it needs to be refined, by pressing the refine button, and playing your guitar. I found it's usually best to play palm muted A and E chords first, followed by open chords. After about 30-45 seconds of playing, you end the refining, and check the profile again. At this point, in 99% of the cases, you have an accurate profile of your amp. It's simply stunning.

At that point, I had "my sound" in the Kemper. I would have probably been happy with it, but profiling was so much fun, that I profiled my amp more than 90 times, to get almost every possible setting. After that, I realized I no longer used my LynchBox.

So, you can get the Kemper, profile your amp, and get your sound, and decide if you want to keep the amp or not.

The Kemper is the most incredible piece of gear I have ever owned. I have never been happier. Check the reviews, and look at videos of professionals using Kempers on tour. There's a reason for it. It's the best unit out there.

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
    I've gone through a ton of modelers over the years, searching for "my sound". My sound was the sound I dialed in on my Randall LynchBox with a Mr. Scary module. I tried to dial in the included settings on whichever modeler I had, and I got somewhat close, but never got that sound that my amp gave me. Over a year ago, I bought a Kemper, and immediately noticed that it acted like an amp. It didn't sound like my amp, since there were no profiles of my amp.

Over the course of a few months, I ventured into trying to profile my amp. I could not believe how easy it was. The "hardest part" was micing the amp to the exact sound that I was looking for. After that, it's a simple case of pressing one button, and sitting back for about a minute while to Kemper sends sounds into the amp/cabinet and receives the sounds coming from the mic(s). When it's done, it plays it's interpretation of the amp that was profiled. In most cases, it dead on. In some cases, it needs to be refined, by pressing the refine button, and playing your guitar. I found it's usually best to play palm muted A and E chords first, followed by open chords. After about 30-45 seconds of playing, you end the refining, and check the profile again. At this point, in 99% of the cases, you have an accurate profile of your amp. It's simply stunning.

At that point, I had "my sound" in the Kemper. I would have probably been happy with it, but profiling was so much fun, that I profiled my amp more than 90 times, to get almost every possible setting. After that, I realized I no longer used my LynchBox.

So, you can get the Kemper, profile your amp, and get your sound, and decide if you want to keep the amp or not.

The Kemper is the most incredible piece of gear I have ever owned. I have never been happier. Check the reviews, and look at videos of professionals using Kempers on tour. There's a reason for it. It's the best unit out there.
    That does sound like a ton of fun, but I'd have to sell my existing rig to fund anything new, so I'm thinking that means the Kemper is out unless I can borrow my buddy's 5150.