Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit?

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    That does sound like a ton of fun, but I'd have to sell my existing rig to fund anything new, so I'm thinking that means the Kemper is out unless I can borrow my buddy's 5150.
    There are tons of 5150 profiles out there. A quick search on the Kemper Rig Exchange, and there are over 240 FREE profiles of the 5150 amps, all versions too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
    There are tons of 5150 profiles out there. A quick search on the Kemper Rig Exchange, and there are over 240 FREE profiles of the 5150 amps, all versions too.
    Or get an AxeFx, with separate models for the 5153, 5150block, 5150II, 6505 etc that all sound and feel pretty spot on. Also be able to change tube types, bias, make other crazy modifications to the 'backside' of the amp, and on a more simple level just have the bass/mid/treble/etc controls behave like they should rather than just having the one profile that depends entirely on the tone that was originally profiled and only be able to use the BMT controls to make more post-edit type tweaks.

I dunno, I can't speak with authority because I've never used a Kemper, but unless I had my critical tube rig and I wanted to take that exact sound on the road and there could be no compromise...I just don't really see the draw to that type of equipment. I very much like being able to pull up the Engl Savage model, tweak that to pretty much exactly how I remember my actual savage being through my Vader cab, and then also pull up a Diezel and a MkIV and have wildly different tones that all sound phenomenal and can all be used either at face-value or with some deep-editing to get things exactly the way I want them. I'd just rather not rely on other people shooting profiles of amps and hope that they did it with a tone I would enjoy and without making the whole thing sound like shit. By the same token, I've never used someone else AxeFX (or POD before that, for that matter) preset and enjoyed the sound of it. To me, other people presets are more starting points or I just grab them for their FX setup and then tweak my own amp block into it.

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Quote Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
    I just don't have any faith in that sort of thing. I've downloaded dozens and dozens of presets created for the HD500x and they never sound like they do in the online sample I see that gets me to DL it in the first place. Using someone else's profile just doesn't appeal to me. Creating my own sounds like fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainOfThought View Post
    Or get an AxeFx, with separate models for the 5153, 5150block, 5150II, 6505 etc that all sound and feel pretty spot on. Also be able to change tube types, bias, make other crazy modifications to the 'backside' of the amp, and on a more simple level just have the bass/mid/treble/etc controls behave like they should rather than just having the one profile that depends entirely on the tone that was originally profiled and only be able to use the BMT controls to make more post-edit type tweaks.

By the same token, I've never used someone else AxeFX (or POD before that, for that matter) preset and enjoyed the sound of it. To me, other people presets are more starting points or I just grab them for their FX setup and then tweak my own amp block into it.
    This right here is why I lean more towards getting a Helix or Axe or other multi-processor. Might see about getting my hands on a Helix LT or Axe FX... I've always dug my L6 pods but something about the Axe has really hooked me from the first time I heard one.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Kramer Baretta
    MA: PRS Angelus Alex Lifeson

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    I just don't have any faith in that sort of thing. I've downloaded dozens and dozens of presets created for the HD500x and they never sound like they do in the online sample I see that gets me to DL it in the first place. Using someone else's profile just doesn't appeal to me. Creating my own sounds like fun though.

I'm not putting down the Axe, etc. Profiling is an incredible thing, that's a lot of fun to do.

Presets and profiles are 2 completely different things. Presets are made by users, mostly tweaking other presets, etc. When profiling, the user is not involved with the profiling process. The user needs to set the amp the way they like, and set the mic in the position they think sounds best for them. Then the Kemper takes over and checks how that amp reacts to the profile sounds, to create a profile of that sound. During my profiling process, I try to profile ALL settings, which is probably overkill, since the profile acts like an amp, so changing the amp settings on the Kemper works like it would on the amp (for the most part).

One of the things that took me almost a year to realize is that the Kemper acts like a real amp. Tweaking the knobs acts the same they do on a head.

Another thing to consider is that modelers need a programmer to make any new amp model. Considering there is no need for any external additions, it's basically future-proof.

You can't go wrong with either unit.