Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit?

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Replace my 6505 & HD500x with one unit?

Is it in the realm of possibility to replace my 6505MH and Line 6 HD500x with one unit and get the same tones I get now? I've never been able to do much with amp modeling in regards to replicating what I used to get with my JCM900 or currently get with the 6505, but life would be so much easier if all I had to deal with was one unit. To top it off, the last few times I've fired up the rig, I've had to knob-fiddle from where I left it to get something that's pleasing (could this possibly be a tube going out in the 6505?)

So, if I was to sell them both and try to replace them with one thing, like say an Axe FX or Kemper or Helix, do you think I'd be able to truly replicate the tube tone? If so, give me some recommendations.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

I have zero experience with AxeFx or Helix so I got nothing on those 2 for ya. With just a few weeks with the Kemper, I can honestly say I love it. With over 200 factory profiles there is something for everyone, including some killer bass profiles, usable, great sounding, simple, out of the box. Now for the rabbit hole, profiles. Just in Kempers Rig Exchange there are over 14,000 free profiles submitted by Kemper owners, some absolutely suck and some are amazing, I've yet to spend much time on it, there's just too many, lol! Then there's the free and commercial profiles available everywhere. I spent entirely too many hours/days researching these before I bought mine. I've bought some from Replicant and Tonecrate so far and they're amazing profiles. The packs will run from around $15 and up and usually around 20 profiles per pack. I got the Fortin Meshuggah pack from Replicant and it had 50 profiles in it. For me it's not so much as tone-chasing, it was easy with factory profiles to get what I was after, but it's having the option to virtually play through so many different amps that I would not be able to otherwise afford or justify. Will it replace my real amps(tube or otherwise)? Nope. There's still something special about cranking up a real amp. Disclaimer: just my opinion, lol, but when I was looking and trying to find comparisons the Kemper sounded closest to me, the others sound fantastic and are great products, but the Kemper just hit closer to my ears.

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Quote Originally Posted by Bohmer View Post
    I have zero experience with AxeFx or Helix so I got nothing on those 2 for ya. With just a few weeks with the Kemper, I can honestly say I love it. With over 200 factory profiles there is something for everyone, including some killer bass profiles, usable, great sounding, simple, out of the box. Now for the rabbit hole, profiles. Just in Kempers Rig Exchange there are over 14,000 free profiles submitted by Kemper owners, some absolutely suck and some are amazing, I've yet to spend much time on it, there's just too many, lol! Then there's the free and commercial profiles available everywhere. I spent entirely too many hours/days researching these before I bought mine. I've bought some from Replicant and Tonecrate so far and they're amazing profiles. The packs will run from around $15 and up and usually around 20 profiles per pack. I got the Fortin Meshuggah pack from Replicant and it had 50 profiles in it. For me it's not so much as tone-chasing, it was easy with factory profiles to get what I was after, but it's having the option to virtually play through so many different amps that I would not be able to otherwise afford or justify. Will it replace my real amps(tube or otherwise)? Nope. There's still something special about cranking up a real amp. Disclaimer: just my opinion, lol, but when I was looking and trying to find comparisons the Kemper sounded closest to me, the others sound fantastic and are great products, but the Kemper just hit closer to my ears.
    Great info - thanks! Which model Kemper do you have?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: RGIT27FE / Carvin DC
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: AxeFXII - Matrix - Vader

I think my axefx2 with a matrix power amp sounds and feels just like any tube rig I’ve played or owned. Once in a while I set up a mkIV preset to try and match my other guitarists rig, but I play through a Vader 2x12 where he uses a 1960 x-patterned, so the comparison is frivolous.

Sometimes I gas for tube heads, but not because my rig is lacking, just because I think it would be fun to have a head or two knocking around and go back to a ‘real’ rig.

ME: Ibanez RGIB6
    MA: Alvarez P.O.S.
    MB: Warwick
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Great info - thanks! Which model Kemper do you have?
    I got the unpowered rack version. Realistically, it'll spend the vast majority of it's time in my studio, but should the opportunity arise I can rack it with either my 9200 or my Simul-Class 2:90, grab a 4x12 and roll.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Kemper all the way. I've replaced my Uberschall with the Kemper for live gigs. I got the powered toaster.

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I find that these days you can get very good/lifelike tones from a bunch of modellers, even my lowly 11rack can get great results with tweaking, but you will also need a power amp , so thats at least two things right there. I have both, a little tube rig and a stereo modeller rig and can dial them in to sound almost identical or choose to have something totally different. So I say if you can hold the GAS and set up both its worth it.

Also, check out Olas laptop rig with the Fortin plug-in, that is a easy way to have a sick portable rig you can go direct with.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Helix user here. You can absolutely do what you want to do with this. Not STRICTLY one unit, as you'd need a poweramp, but if you grab a rack unit, then grab a Matrix GT1000FX to go with it. Floor unit? Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 or 700. Using it for home use only? Something like an EH Magnum 44 pedal sized poweramp of the new Orange ones.