Vox AC30S1 repair

Thread: Vox AC30S1 repair

ME: Jackson SLSMG
    Rig: Vox AC30S1

Vox AC30S1 repair

Can anyone recommend an amp tech in the Boston area to whom I can take my Vox AC30S1 for repair? I love its sound, but I am having problems. The input jack keeps coming out when I remove the guitar cord. Also, sometimes I lose the sound, especially when I turn the gain knob past 12 noon.

I would appreciate any tips or amp tech recommendations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP Ltd EC401 FR w/J
    Rig: Bugera 333XL

I dont live anywhere near boston but a google search turned up this place:

Musical Instrument Service Center

Its getting harder and harder to find places that services amps nowadays. Almost to the point where you have to ship them off to somebody.

ME: Jackson SLSMG
    Rig: Vox AC30S1

Thanks, WombCannon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Boston area guy here, and the only time I'd ever had an amp shipped off for some work, it was so long ago I don't remember where and for some reason I suspect the guy may no longer be in business. Might be worth asking a few better guitar shop if they have an in-house repair guy or a repair guy they outsource to, though?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Terry View Post
    Can anyone recommend an amp tech in the Boston area to whom I can take my Vox AC30S1 for repair? I love its sound, but I am having problems. The input jack keeps coming out when I remove the guitar cord. Also, sometimes I lose the sound, especially when I turn the gain knob past 12 noon.

I would appreciate any tips or amp tech recommendations.
    How handy are you with a soldering iron? It's possible those two are really simple fixes. I'd start with a new input jack, and see what that solves. If you're handy enough to replace that, which is only a few connections, you could check into what potentiometer they used for the gain knob and try to replace that too. If you replace the pot and it's not the problem, at least you've fixed the easy and most likely things, and you can probably do it for under $20-$30 if you DIY.