NAD: Mosh-All

Thread: NAD: Mosh-All

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

NAD: Mosh-All

I'm a sucker for nostalgia, and I really miss my JCM900 stack, but honestly would never be able to use it now because it was just so loud. Well, the 6505mh running into a 412 was too loud too, so I've been looking to get some 110 or 112 cabs to have a mini stack for the Peavey to sit on. Came across a deal on this and my awesome wife was kind enough to buy it for me for my birthday.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much at all from the Marshall MG15 head and had planned to sell it, then use that money to swap the speakers in the cabs. But, I hooked it up when I got it home, spent a few minutes dialing in a tone and just love this little thing. Not only does it take up far less space than the 412 did, but it can get almost just as loud if I want it to, w/o having such a high volume floor to start with. I haven't been able to run the 6505 through both cabs yet as I need to get a splitter today, but the Marshall sounds pretty darn good all on it's own which makes me pretty excited for the Peavey. I'll probably end up getting an OD pedal to go with it and keeping the MG15 just to have for quick/easy fun - or something I can take out in the living room and jam with my wife (where her Blackstar ID20 sits).

It definitely seems to me that Blackstar's initial solid state offerings were basically the same as this MG tech (Blackstar's ISF and Marshall's "Contour Shaping" seem to do the same thing), anyone know the story on that? And, is the MG supposed to be a solid state sim of the JCM series or the Lead series or is it just stand alone?
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

The guys at Blackstar are ex-Marshall employees, which could explain the ISF/Contour

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    The guys at Blackstar are ex-Marshall employees, which could explain the ISF/Contour
    Yeah, I read an article back when I first got into Blackstar, that had a clear 'Star slant, saying they'd taken all this solid state modeling tech to Jim Marshall and he wanted no parts of it. So, they split off, took what they developed and started Blackstar. But, the MG seems like a nicer version of their Core series, so I'm not sure who got the kids in that divorce.

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

I can't say for certain if the MG is based on another model or not but it is the first solid state line they put out after the Valvestate line. Could be it's just a continuation of that line minus the pre-amp tube.

The one head of theirs that I have heard of that was supposedly based off a previous model was the Mosfet Lead 100. Stories have it that it's basically a solid state version of a JCM800.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinedriver View Post
    I can't say for certain if the MG is based on another model or not but it is the first solid state line they put out after the Valvestate line. Could be it's just a continuation of that line minus the pre-amp tube.

The one head of theirs that I have heard of that was supposedly based off a previous model was the Mosfet Lead 100. Stories have it that it's basically a solid state version of a JCM800.
    Mosfet. There's a word I haven't heard in a long time. I wonder if that technology ever made it any further...

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Mosfet. There's a word I haven't heard in a long time. I wonder if that technology ever made it any further...
    Lots of amp in a box pedals have them!