Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Noise gates!

Tags
gates noise
4K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  TheKindred 
#1 ·
It looks like my TC Electronics Sentry died. I'm pretty sure it's my fault... I think I fried it by haphazardly unplugging something else, and the power cable shorted to ground, and toasted it.

I may get another one, but what other gates are ya'll using?

I'd prefer something with a loop on it, as I'm running an old noisy preamp, the Mesa Studio Pre, and I want it gated.

#8 ·
I'm using the Sentry, since the hum killer mode is the best thing for P90s and gain that I've ever found.

#9 ·
Did you ever find any of the toneprint stuff useful? I loaded it up once, but I never really had the time to fiddle with it, nor did I have the need, since the other two switch positions always worked just fine for me.

#16 ·
I've always liked the Boss NS-2 for the precise reason a lot of people hate it - it clamps so aggressively that it actually changes the tone and feel of the preamp slightly. It's a little tighter and a gives a tiny midrange bump. Works great with rectos (when they have series loops!) And 5150s.

#21 ·
There's only one choice, really, isn't there?

Seriously, German mag Gitarre&Bass did a group test the other month.

They tested this lot:

Sadly neither including the G-String nor the Zuul (no Cockblocker either)...

I could do a precis or summat.

From memory: They found many coloured the sound. And that it makes a big difference whether you run the gate in front or in the amp's loop.

#22 ·
I never understood why anybody would run the gate out front.

I guess it depends if you want it to gate your playing and not just unwanted hums and buzzes. I only ever use a gate to minimise hum from noisy amps, particularly with heavy gain. Other than that I want it as open as possible and don't rely on it what so ever for my playing.

#28 ·
For sure, but if it's in the loop then it's kind of gating both anyway :shrug: (due to the notion that whatever goes in the front is going through the preamp/loop)

The same can't be said for the other way around (i.e. just gating out front. It might hush buzzes and hums from guitars/pedals but won't quieten a humming amp)

#32 ·
I've only ever used the Sentry and NS-2 for pedal gates, and only ever in the 4-cm. I'm currently on the sentry and it works well, but I find it colours the sound in a more noticeable way than the NS-2 when engaged.

also i just found out this is a thing, and already feel like it's overpriced

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.