Amp Lights Mod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp Lights Mod

ME: Jackson
    Rig: EVH 5150, 6505mh, Mesa

Amp Lights Mod

I ordered a EVH 5150iii this weekend. Was watching demo vids on YT and saw a couple that had the LEDs inside the amp. I believe it was a Kruse video that had green lights for ch.1, blue for ch.2, and red for ch.3. If you have done a similar mod like this how did you do it? Where did you purchase the lights, and how did you hook them up? Even if you just put one color of lights that come on when the amp is on I would still like to hear how you did it. Thanks
    Just a speck in the spectrum

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I have had friends add lights but they where not changing with the channels etc... that is not super hard but at that point Id just send it to someone like Kruse, Im sending my LBX for a few things soon.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Jackson
    Rig: EVH 5150, 6505mh, Mesa

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    I have had friends add lights but they where not changing with the channels etc... that is not super hard but at that point Id just send it to someone like Kruse, Im sending my LBX for a few things soon.
    And I might do that at some point, might just do one color myself, just something to play around with. I imagine when I get the amp, it probably ain't going anywhere for a while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

My buddy got the lights that move and change color to the music, which is kinda trippy lol (we can be trippy people ) but yeah.. something to mess with until down the road.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

+1 to what Dave said. The light part itself isn't super hard. The hardest part would be figuring out where to mount the LEDs. The mounting part is harder. The reason to actually send it to somebody is that presumably they wire it so it's drawing power when the amp turns on. They might be adding a switch on the back for on off too. Doing lights with their own power chord is pretty easy. Integrating it with the amp is going to involve a bit of routing or drilling in the chassis and/or headshell.

Anything more advanced probably involves ICs in addition to lights. Those are pretty cheap too.

A lot of the time you see those mods, they are just using PC case fans. Which is super simple. Mounting two PC Case fans to the top of the headshell, or one on either side is a pretty low intensity mod, and if you ever want to take them out you are just left with holes on the interior of the headshell.

That said, I wouldn't do the light thing. I think it looks cheap and if you ever want to sell it it might limit your audience.

Also, depending on what you go with, you might not need discrete ICs, a lot of the color changing bulbs come with integrated ICs in the bulb/diode housing itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    My buddy got the lights that move and change color to the music, which is kinda trippy lol (we can be trippy people ) but yeah.. something to mess with until down the road.
    The ones that actually change depending on what you are playing? Or the ones with ICs involved that just have shit on a timer? I've definitely seen both, but I've never seen one in an amp that changed with what you are hitting on the guitar on a guitar amp, although obviously it's possible with the right ICs/wiring.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

You can also do the ones that control LEDs or Frequency Spectrum Displays. You can get the Frequency Spectrum Display shit cheap off Amazon. Is that what you were talking about when you said, "changes with the music" Dave? There are definitely loads of ICs out there that can feed signals to LEDs or spectrum displays on the basis of frequency.

https://www.amazon.com/DFROBOT-DFR01...945889&sr=1-12

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post

The ones that actually change depending on what you are playing? Or the ones with ICs involved that just have shit on a timer? I've definitely seen both, but I've never seen one in an amp that changed with what you are hitting on the guitar on a guitar amp, although obviously it's possible with the right ICs/wiring.
    you can get the integrated box that has a sound sensor in it, so they would change with your chugs and what not. The cheap ones don't "track" exceptionally well but would probably trigger enough to make it in time to a good 'nuff degree.
    Spoiler
    Jesus dies at the end....

similar to the thing you linked, but there are a buttload of already made options that do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Topled-.../dp/B01DJ8VCCE

this combo pack for example, basically has that chip (or similar) already integrated into the IR box. I have a few that came with some cheap LED srips i bought in the past. They're ooookkkk but I found that you need very pronounced sound spikes (like a clap) to get htem to change so fast, dense metal guitar would have them dancing but not necessarily specific to your riff.